Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: Castle St


Cattlemarket St:
        From Rouen Rd (formerly Rising Sun Lane) / Golden Ball St / Farmers Avenue to King St / Rose Lane
      passing
Castle Mall, Crown Rd

      East side
Cattlemarket St 18 part of Golden Ball PH [1309] 1936-08-23
Cattlemarket St 18 to 21 Buff Coat PH [4647] 1961-09-10
21 the Buff Coat PH on left.18 and 19 the Golden Ball PH.
Cattlemarket St Old Drill Hall [7784] 2000-10-23
Cattlemarket St 24 iron shop front [4662] 1962-04-14
The cast iron and glass shop front built 1863.
Cattlemarket St 25 Shirehall PH [6590] 1989-09-19
Cattlemarket St 31 Parkside House [7853] 2001-09-13
        West side
Cattle Market from Castle Hill Bell Avenue [B066] 1931-00-00
Held on the site of the Castle Ditches since the time of James II (and possibly for a much longer period) the removal of the Cattle Market to another site had been considered by the City Council since just before the outbreak of the Second World War.
Cattle Market from Castle Hill Bell Avenue [B161] 1931-00-00
Cattle Market air raid precaution view S [3256] 1939-09-03
Cattle Market air raid precaution view N [3257] 1939-09-03
Cattle Market air raid precaution trenches [3267] 1939-09-20
Cattle Market view east from Market Avenue [4540] 1960-03-12
These three views were taken a few months before the opening of the new cattle market at Harford on the southern boundary of the city.
Cattle Market view NE from Market Avenue [4541] 1960-03-12
Cattle Market pig compound [4542] 1960-03-12
At junction of Market Avenue and Cattle Market St.
Cattle Market farm machinery Castle Hill [4543] 1960-03-12
Farm machinery showrooms.
Tombland fair swing boats [B549] 1933-04-17
The beginnings of the fair called "Tombland Fair" are very obscure. It seems to have had its origin in an annual synod just before Easter when a few stalls for refreshments and trinkets were erected on Tombland. It was formerly known as "Good Friday Fair" and was certainly held on that day until 1686 when a proclamation was made that in future it should be held on the day before Good Friday. Throughout most of the 20c it was held on the Castle Hill at Christmas and Easter.
Cattle Market fair Paratrooper [4894] 1965-04-19
Cattle Market fair Flying Boats [4895] 1965-04-19
Cattle Market fair Big Wheel [4896] 1965-04-19
Cattle Market fair Children's Roundabout [4897] 1965-04-19
Cattle Market fair Big Wheel Paratrooper [4898] 1965-04-19
Cattlemarket St Rose Avenue excavation SW [6612] 1990-06-16
The darker area (right) is the filled-in site of the outer castle ditch.
Cattlemarket St entrance [6782] 1992-05-16
Walls awaiting outer covering of brick and flint panelling.

Chapel Field East:
        From Chapel Field North / Theatre St to Chapel Field Rd
      passing
Coburg St

      East side
Chapel Field East Bowling Green PH stables [5135] 1967-04-16
Chapel Field East 15 [1021] 1936-06-14
The former Bowling Green Inn.
Chapel Field East 15 Georgian doorway [0395] 1935-03-17
Chapel Field East 15 rear from its garden [6473] 1987-06-12
Chapel Field East Congregational church [3012] 1939-05-25
In Chapel Field East stood until 1972 a Nonconformist church, built by the Congregationalists and opened in 1858. When it was demolished a sealed jar was discovered let into the foundation stone, containing documents written by its first minister, the Rev. J.Alexander, These referred to a meeting of a committee in October 1856, leading to the purchase of the land for £550 and the raising of £3,500 for the building.
Constructed in the Norman style of white brick and Portland stone, the Chapel-in-the-Field had twin turrets, each 80 feet high, flanking a facade designed like its Theatre St neighbour with a rose window above an open porch with triple arches. An eastern apse containing an organ was lit by four stained-glass widows.
Chapel-in-the-Field Congregational Church was closed in the 1960s because depopulation of the surrounding area led to a diminished attendance and because increased traffic in adjacent roads created difficulties of access. The last service was held on 30th December 1966, after which its members united with the congregation of another Congregational church in Jessopp Rd.
In the same year the city council purchased the property for £27,500, and for a time its future possible use as a music venue, sports or conference hall was debated. All this came to nothing, however, and the building was demolished early in 1972 (the organ was dismantled and re-erected at Somerleyton church). A hall at the rear was saved, though, to become a useful adjunct to the adjacent Theatre Royal.
Any stranger to Norwich visiting Chapel Field Garden before 1972 could have been excused for thinking that they were given that name because the congregational church formed such a prominent landmark on its eastern side. On the contrary, it had been known by this name for centuries before the church was built. In fact it was derived from a chapel and hospital built by John le Brun some time before 1250 in fields extending from St Stephen's church and St Giles' gates. It soon grew into a college of secular priests, which was suppressed in 1545; the Assembly House now occupies the site. The seal of the college had a Latin inscription, which the historian Francis Blomefield translated thus:
"The fields and Virgin gave the name"
"And may good luck attend the same."

Chapel Field North:
        From Chapel Field Rd to Theatre St / Chapel Field East
      passing
Little Bethel St

      North side
Chapel Field North 3 [6579] 1989-09-07
Chapel Field North 4 Chapel Field House [2106] 1938-03-03
South front.
Chapel Field North 4 north side bay [6602] 1990-04-17
Chapel Field North 4 Regency doorway [5102] 1966-10-12
Chapel Field North 4 wrought iron balcony [6472] 1987-06-12
Chapel Field North 7 Regency period [0347] 1935-01-04
Chapel Field North 7 with new balcony [6578] 1989-09-07
Balcony added 1989.
Chapel Field North 8 9 and 10 [6577] 1989-09-07
Chapel Field North Christian Spiritualist [6507] 1988-08-06
Built 1936.
Chapel Field North 13 St Mary's Croft [0164] 1934-07-08
Built by Captain Crowe 1881 incorporating walls of an earlier house.

Chapel Field Rd:
        From Unthank Rd / Grapes Hill / St Giles' St to St Stephen's St / Queen's Rd / St Stephen's Rd
      passing
Chapel Field East, The Crescent

      West side
Chapel Field Rd 5 to 9 convent [4802] 1964-08-05
Little Sisters' Convent. Site of Inner Link road.
Chapel Field Rd 47 Gothic House [2170] 1938-03-14
Built 1857.
Chapel Field Rd United Methodist chapel [6449] 1987-04-17
Built 1880-81, architect Edward Boardman.
        East side
Chapel Field Rd 8 Volunteer Stores PH [4783] 1964-07-19
Site of Inner Link road.
Drill Hall turret with remains of tower [B096] 1931-00-00
The Volunteer Drill Hall was opened October 1866, architect the City Surveyor James Benest, builder William Gilbert. It incorporated a fragment of one of the semicircular towers. Demolished 1963. The site of the tower is now marked by semicircle of cobbles in the Chapel Field Rd roundabout.
Drill Hall tower [2194] 1938-03-21
Drill Hall tower air raid precaution [2808] 1938-10-06
Sandbagged at the time of "the Crisis".
Drill Hall tower demolition [4731] 1963-07-14
Chapel Field Gardens thatched tea house [B204] 1931-00-00
A noteworthy structure in the gardens was the thatched tea pavilion. Dating from about the time of the Ashanti campaign it became known as King Prempeh's Bungalow. How it slipped through the regulations that forbade the erection of thatched buildings within the city walls is rather a mystery. It was taken down in 1938 and superseded by the present teahouse.
Chapel Field Gardens pagoda west side [0143] 1934-07-01
Shown as an archery ground on Braun and Hogenberg's prospect of Norwich dated l581, the area now occupied by Chapel Field Gardens was in 1746 being held on a lease by Thomas Churchman, who in that year planted its three main walks with avenues of elms. A century later the waterworks company, who had a reservoir here, offered to give up their interest in the field to the Corporation on condition that it was "Laid out in the style of the London parks, the reservoir to be retained but altered in shape . . . it was also proposed to place the Nelson statue on an elegant fountain pedestal in the centre of the reservoir".
Things proceeded slowly, however, and in the meantime Nelson's statue found its way from the Market, where it was originally placed, to its present site in The Close near the west end of the Cathedral. Not until 1867 was the ground enclosed by iron railings, and it was 1880 before the present gardens were completed and opened to the public.
Perhaps the garden's most conspicuous feature at this time was the ornamental pagoda or pavilion near the centre of the grounds. Originally costing £2,000, it had been constructed by Barnard, Bishop and Barnard, the Norwich iron founders, from designs by Thomas Jeckyll as a showpiece for various exhibitions, being first erected at the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition in 1876. In 1880 it was purchased by the city for £500, which was raised by public subscription. It was of two floors and for a while was used as a bandstand until the present purpose-built structure was erected.
The pagoda was highly ornamented - the brackets supporting both upper floor and roof were enriched with designs in bas-relief depicting flowers and birds; a geometrically patterned railing surrounded the balcony floor, which was reached by a spiral staircase; and an outer wrought-iron railing fashioned to resemble rows of sunflowers enclosed the small mound on which the pagoda stood. (The photographer's great uncle, Aquilla Eke, is said to have executed much of the bas-relief work, which was hand-forged.) Because of damage this railing was later removed, but several of the better-preserved sections were later re-erected as entrance gates to the tennis courts at Heigham Park. After many decades service there, they were refurbished and erected in 2004 at the park entrance.
The pagoda itself unfortunately sustained some damage during the Second World War and was demolished in November 1949, because it was unsafe. A brick and tile shelter now stands on the site.
Silver Jubilee Chapel Field tree planting [0556] 1935-05-06
The Sheriff planted a Plane Tree at Chapel Field Gardens to commemorate the Silver Jubilee. Other trees were planted at Earlham Park, Sewell Park, and Castle Gardens.
Chapel Field Gardens pagoda Jubilee lit [0535] 1935-05-06
Chapel Field Gardens COLOUR [0737] 1935-08-21
Chapel Field bandstand and pagoda COLOUR [0738] 1935-08-21
Chapel Field Gardens thatched tea house [2085] 1938-02-24
Chapel Field Gardens air raid precaution [2956] 1939-04-11
Partially constructed trenches. Gardens reopened April 1939 after having been closed since "the Crisis" of September 1938.
Chapel Field Gardens tea pavilion [3011] 1939-05-25
Replaced the thatched structure in 1938.
Chapel Field Gardens Gurney clock [6479] 1987-07-14
Presented to the City by Barclay's Bank. Formerly Gurney's Bank, to mark 200 years of trading in Norwich. Commissioned 1975, unveiled 1987, later moved to Castle Mall.
Chapel Field Gardens bandstand [6605] 1990-04-30
Chapel Field, an archery ground in mediaeval times, was laid out as a formal garden in 1879.
Chapel Field Gardens millennium domes [7724] 2000-01-07
Celebrating the "City of Lights" theme. They included Art, Music, Science and the Senses.
Chapel Field Gardens wooden crucifix [7752] 2000-05-06
Chapel Field Gardens William Kemp carving [7800] 2001-01-30
William Kemp's Morris dance ("Nine Daies Wonder") from London to Norwich in 1600. Carved by Mark Goldsworthy of Bungay, 2000.
Chapel Field Gardens west side of tower [B091] 1931-00-00
Chapel Field Rd 42 to 44 [4782] 1964-07-19
Site of Inner Link road.
Chapel Field Gardens wall from inside city [0123] 1934-06-16
Chapel Field Gardens wall outside from SW [5281] 1969-09-12
Chapel Field Gardens wall from outside city [5282] 1969-09-12
Exposed by demolition of attached houses 1969.
Chapel Field Gardens wall outside from NW [5283] 1969-09-12
Chapel Field Rd wall from outside city [6616] 1990-06-16
After conservation.
Chapel Field Rd Caley's chocolate factory [7375] 1996-07-27
West side from Chapel Field Gardens.
Chapel Field Rd Caley's chocolate factory [7916] 2003-02-18
Corner of Chapel Field East.
Chapel Field Rd Nestle chocolate factory [7354] 1996-07-07
Office block, built 1955, engineers F.Snow and partners.
Chapelfield shopping mall interior [7964] 2005-09-28
Chapel Field Rd 66 to 96 [4781] 1964-07-19
Site of Inner Link road.
For 109 to 113 Chapel Field Rd see 1 to 5 St Stephen's Rd.
Chapel Field Rd wall S of Chapel Field East [5280] 1969-09-05
Caley's west tower in Chapel Field Rd 80 [0374] 1935-02-24
Caley's west tower in Chapel Field Rd 80 [0375] 1935-02-24
Caley's west tower outside city from NW [5302] 1970-05-27
Exposed by demolition of attached houses 1969.
Caley's west tower outside city from SW [5303] 1970-05-27
Caley's west tower from Way under the walls [6619] 1990-07-03
Caley's west tower interior [7358] 1996-07-07
Coronation Chapel Field Rd 104 [1619] 1937-05-13
1937 coronation decorations.
Caley's east tower Coburg St inside city [0382] 1935-03-03
Caley's east tower Coburg St inside city [4807] 1964-08-11
Caley's east tower Coburg St inside city [6382] 1986-05-29
Caley's east tower Coburg St inside city [6617] 1990-07-03
Chapel Field Rd south end from outside city [4397] 1955-09-26
Coburg St wall from inside city [B109] 1931-00-00
Caley's east tower from outside city [5307] 1970-08-29

Chapel St:
        From Rupert St (now Vauxhall St) to Union St
Chapel St 7 to 15 [2732] 1938-08-24
Chapel St 7 to 15 noticeboard [2731] 1938-08-24
To the effect that it was renovated by amateurs in 1938.

Charing Cross:
        From Duke St / St Andrew's St / St John Maddermarket to St Gregory's Alley / St Benedict's St
      passing
Westwick St

      North side
Charing Cross 1 to 11 [5190] 1968-04-18
Charing Cross 13 to 15 Lord Camden PH [2526] 1938-07-07
15 the former Lord Camden PH.
Charing Cross Lord Camden Yard view south [2876] 1939-02-16
Charing Cross as its name implies was once the site of a stone cross, the only one remaining in the city, according to the historian John Kirkpatrick, c1720, although the Market Cross was not pulled down until 1732. Known as Sherhill cross in the 14c and variously thereafter as Shereshill, Sherergate and Shereman rowe, the cross took its name from the men who formerly lived here, whose trade it was to shear the worsteds made on the city's looms.
This street, like so many others, has lost buildings through street-widening schemes. The north side was demolished for this purpose in 1970. Some time before this, however, the little shop at No 15 had disappeared. It had for many years been the Lord Camden public house, a 16c building matching in its outward appearance (albeit much smaller) the street frontage of Strangers' Hall opposite. An adjoining passageway led to Lord Camden yard. This was described by Claude Messent as one of the oldest in the city, having 16c flintwork in the walls of some of its buildings, while others were of stud and plaster. The yard itself was paved with old kidney cobbles and down its centre were tram rails, probably once used by trucks transporting goods.
Charing Cross 29 [1091] 1936-07-07
        South side
Charing Cross 2 to 4 [4652] 1961-10-08
 
Charing Cross 6 to 12 Strangers Hall museum [1118] 1936-07-13
The main part of the house was built c1450 by William Barley M.P. and mercer. Many additions and alterations made since notably by Thomas Cawse and Nicholas Sotherton.
Charing Cross 6 Strangers Hall street door [2285] 1938-04-10
The door bears the date 1621.
Charing Cross 6 Strangers Hall gate [0157] 1934-07-05
Charing Cross 6 Strangers Hall main door [0435] 1935-04-11
Main doorway below groined porch added by Nicholas Sotherton after 1525.
Charing Cross 6 Strangers Hall courtyard [0608] 1935-08-05
Charing Cross 6 Strangers Hall 16c doorway [0434] 1935-04-11
Next to steps in forecourt. "I.M.W.1592". Originally at a house in Palace St.
Charing Cross 6 Strangers Hall forecourt [4343] 1955-07-30
West side.
Charing Cross 6 Strangers Hall dining room [4340] 1955-07-30
Exterior of Georgian dining room with Oak room above. Rebuilt by Sir Joseph Paine in 1659.
Charing Cross 6 Strangers Hall stair bay [4337] 1955-07-30
Staircase bay added by Francis Cock in 1627.
Charing Cross 6 Strangers Hall stone bay [4338] 1955-07-30
16c stone vaulted bay of Great Hall inserted by Nicholas Sotherton.
Charing Cross 6 Georgian doorway Bethel St [4342] 1955-07-30
Georgian doorway formerly at 18 Bethel St. See Bethel St for a view of it in situ.
Charing Cross 6 Georgian doorway St Giles' [4341] 1955-07-30
Georgian doorway formerly at 14 St Giles' St.
Charing Cross 6 Strangers Hall gold teapot [2425] 1938-05-23
A grocer's sign once displayed by Robt.Fox and later John Dodson at his shop at the corner of Magdalen St and St Saviour's Lane.
Coronation Charing Cross [1549] 1937-05-03
Coronation of Their Majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth as celebrated at Norwich on 12th May 1937:
Prizes were awarded in a competition for the best decorated premises, the judges being appointed by the Norwich Chamber of Commerce Coronation Committee. The general level of excellence attained was such that only by the most careful though and checking of one scheme with another, in repeated visits, were they able to come to their decision.

Church Avenue Eaton:
        From Mile End Rd to Christchurch Rd
Christchurch Eaton W side from Church Ave [B656] 1933-08-10
Built 1873. South Aisle added 1912, architects J.H.Brown and J.P.Pearce.

Church Lane Eaton:
        From Eaton St / Newmarket Rd
Church Lane Eaton west side 17c houses [1661] 1937-05-31
With crow-stepped gables.
Church Lane Eaton west side old house [1666] 1937-05-31
Church Lane Eaton east side thatched house [1667] 1937-06-03
Off east side.
Church Lane Eaton east side thatched house [1668] 1937-06-03
St Andrew's Eaton from Eaton St [B201] 1931-00-00
St Andrew's Eaton nave and chancel S side [2457] 1938-06-14
Early English nave and chancel covered with a thatched roof.
St Andrew's Eaton tower from SE [1665] 1937-05-31
Perpendicular.
St Andrew's Eaton north porch [2458] 1938-06-14
St Andrew's Eaton interior view east [2451] 1938-06-14
The roofs and fittings are modern.
St Andrew's Eaton interior view SE [2456] 1938-06-14
Screen 1861.
St Andrew's Eaton interior view west [2452] 1938-06-14
St Andrew's Eaton altar and east window [2455] 1938-06-14
Stained galss commemorates the Bensley family.
St Andrew's Eaton piscina and sedilia [2453] 1938-06-14
Trefoil headed pillar piscina with carved cap, late 13c.
St Andrew's Eaton Tudor chair [2454] 1938-06-14
Presented 1926. In the chancel.

City Rd:
        From Queen's Rd / Ber St / Bracondale to Long John Hill
      passing
Hospital Lane
City Rd removal of track view to Bracondale [0034] 1934-02-20
The City Rd service was withdrawn October 1933.
St Mark's New Lakenham from City Rd [2888] 1939-03-09
St Mark's New Lakenham from SE [7819] 2001-04-27
Built 1844 in modified Perpendicular style, architect John Brown.
City Rd Jubilee Terrace Rose Villas [7818] 2001-04-27
Built 1872.

Next street: The Close

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List

 Home