Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: Tollgate Way

        From Upper King St / Queen St and The Close / St Faith's Lane to Wensum St / Palace St
Princes St

      West side
Tombland view north from Upper King St [3982] 1951-04-14
To trace the history of Norwich Market it is necessary to go back to pre-Conquest times. At least three settlements, founded by the Saxons and Danes on wither side of the Wensum, and known respectively as Northwic, Westwic and Conesford, grew and finally amalgamated into one community. They sprang up adjacent to the crossing of two roads - the one running from north to south and passing over the Wensum at Fyebridge, the other running from east to west (Holm-street - now Bishopgate - and Westwick Way). The crossing was at a point just south of Fyebridge on a site now called Tombland, and here the Saxon Market seems to have been originally established.
Tombland 1 [4431] 1956-05-15
Tombland 1 and left Queen St 12 [4275] 1954-08-25
Tombland view SW [3986] 1951-04-19
Tombland view west [3981] 1951-04-14
Tombland (from the Danish meaning an open piece of land) has been an open space since Saxon times. In 1951 the City Council decided to erect stalls here on brick and concrete foundations. The old wooden stalls were set back from their original sites in preparation for the new work, but at the last moment the Norwich Society obtained an injunction restraining the Corporation from carrying out their decision, and the old stalls were instead replaced by mobile vans.
Tombland 3 [5248] 1969-04-08
Tombland 3 Regency Georgian portico [6641] 1990-09-26
Tombland 4 to 6 [1096] 1936-07-12
Tombland 5 [2071] 1938-01-17
Tombland 5 Georgian doorway portico [0474] 1935-04-20
St George Tombland south side from Tombland [2268] 1938-04-07
"W tower, N and S porch, nave, N and S aisles, chancel and chancel chapel. The tower has nice sound holes. Late 15c S porch, groined and with parvise over. Typical 13c hexagonal Purbeck font with very nice 17c cover. Under the tomb of John Symonds 1609 there is a marble top which looks like a dole table. Clerestory windows to whole of nave and chancel. Very nice 17c pulpit with back board and canopy, iron-bound chest, mace and sword stand, and Royal Arms over tower arch, but too dark to make out." (H.Munro Cautley F.S.A. A.R.I.B.A. in Norfolk Churches, 1949).
"East of Princes St and south-west corner of Tombland. Square west tower, a clock and 5 bells, nave with aisles, Chancel and south porch. Chiefly in the Perpendicular style, slight evidences of earlier work. The tower was erected by the parishioners in 1445. The clock was given by George Maltby in 1786. There is also a sanctus bell. The clerestory of brick, built with dark grey headers and red stretchers. Several monuments to city worthies, including one to the founder of the Great Hospital. A Jacobean pulpit and sounding-board. The font has a Jacobean cover. The Rev W.Bridge was ejected from the incumbency of this parish for refusing to read the Book of Sports. He afterwards became pastor of the Old Meeting House. Registers from 1538." (Claude J.W.Messent A.R.I.B.A. in Parish Churches of Norfolk and Norwich, 1936).
"The five arches of the nave are conspicuous in the irregular arrangement of their columns, which are neither opposite nor equal in number. The shafts are octagonal, the capitals exhibiting some bold cutting; whilst the moulding around the arches forms a succession of simple rectangular recesses. It is considered that the western arch of the south arcade was reformed in the fifteenth century when the present tower was erected. The roof of the nave, with its hand-corbels, has been rebuilt in Perpendicular times; when a flatter roof of the period was substituted for the old high-pitched Decorated one, the rake of which is shown by the stone-string on the tower. On the spandrels shields and scrolls are painted." (Edward A.Tillet in St George Tombland, Norwich, Past and Present, 1891).
St George Tombland south side from Tombland [B131] 1931-00-00
St George Tombland tower and south porch [2210] 1938-03-26
Tower built 1445.
St George Tombland interior view east [1853] 1937-08-07
17c pulpit with backboard and canopy.
St George Tombland 13c font and 17c cover [1879] 1937-08-14
Purbeck font.
Tombland 7 to 11 [5195] 1968-05-23
Tombland 8 to 9 [1070] 1936-07-05
Tombland 8 to 9 rear from churchyard [5193] 1968-05-23
Tombland 10 to 11 shop front and balcony [7946] 2004-05-19
Tombland 12 Tudor House [1069] 1936-07-05
With unusual double-decker dormer.
Tombland 12 to 14 rear from Tombland Alley [5197] 1968-05-24
Tombland Alley 1 to 2 [1097] 1936-07-12
Tombland Alley 1 to 2 [6421] 1986-08-06
Tombland 14 Augustine Steward's House [B076] 1931-08-03
Part of Samson and Hercules House on right.
Tombland 14 Augustine Steward's from Alley [0481] 1935-04-20
Tombland 14 Augustine Steward's main door [0508] 1935-05-03
Tombland 14 Augustine Steward's east facade [0626] 1935-08-08
Tombland 14 Augustine Steward's COLOUR [0963] 1936-05-16
Tombland 14 joiners' marks on timbers [3892] 1950-06-29
The half-timbered construction with Roman numerals joiners' marks visible at the base of each timber.
Tombland 14 carved stone bracket [2139] 1938-03-09
Tombland 14 carved stone bracket [4419] 1956-03-27
Bearing Mercers' sign and Steward's initials "A.S" - worked into a merchant's mark. Dated 1549, the year of Kett's Rebellion when Steward was Deputy Mayor.
Tombland 14 Augustine Steward's from Alley [5143] 1967-05-16
Uneven settlement of foundations caused beams to bend and twist.
Tombland 15 to 16 Samson Hercules portico [0501] 1935-05-01
Tombland 15 to 16 Samson Hercules Jubilee [0507] 1935-05-03
Samson and Hercules House was erected by Christopher Jay, Mayor of Norwich in 1657. Incorporated are some walls and the undercroft of a 15c mansion.
Tombland 15 to 16 Samson Hercules floodlit [1628] 1937-05-13
For coronation.
Tombland 15 to 16 Samson Hercules unrebuilt [4077] 1952-07-06
Tombland 15 to 16 Samson Hercules rebuild [4103] 1952-09-28
During reconstruction after fire.
Tombland 15 to 16 doorway from Flixton Hall [4238] 1953-10-25
Door moved from Flixton Hall in Suffolk in 1935.
Tombland 15 to 16 Samson Hercules rebuilt [4260] 1954-06-23
Tombland 17 Louis Marchesi PH [6536] 1989-03-25
Formerly the Waggon and Horses PH.
        East side
Tombland replica gateway Anguish house site [2897] 1939-03-31
Modern replica of one on the site of the house of Thomas Anguish at corner of Tombland and Wensum St.
For Maid's Head Hotel see Wensum St.
Tombland 20 Cavell House [0997] 1936-06-10
Tombland Edith Cavell monument [B260] 1932-05-00
Tombland Edith Cavell monument [4012] 1951-06-29
Tombland Edith Cavell monument resited [6961] 1993-03-28
Moved 1993.
Tombland 20 Georgian doorway [0428] 1935-03-28
Tombland 21 to 22 Erpingham House [7446] 1997-04-27
Tombland 24 St Ethelbert's House [0296] 1934-09-23
Georgian much altered in Victorian times.
Tombland 24 St Ethelbert's House floodlit [1631] 1937-05-13
Tombland 25 [6436] 1987-02-17
Tombland 26 Cambridge House [3247] 1939-08-13
Where No 26 (Cambridge House) now stands, the Recorder of Norwich, Sir William Denny, erected early in the 17c a building called Stonehall. Parts of this were retained when Cambridge House replaced it during the early part of the Georgian period. Alderman Jeremiah Ives (Sheriff 1782, Mayor 1786 and 1801), who lived here in 1783, is believed to have been responsible for adding the present imposing portico. Otherwise it remained little altered until 3rd May 1945, when fire entirely gutted the interior. Fortunately the outer walls remained virtually intact and it was possible to effect a reconstruction, preserving the old facade and thus retaining the Georgian character of this end of Tombland.
Tombland 26 Georgian doorway [0426] 1935-03-28
Tombland 26 rear from St Faith's Lane [0978] 1936-05-18
The site of the Palace of Saxon Earls. In the 17c Sir William Denny erected a messuage called Stonehall, parts being incorporated in the Georgian mansion built in the first half of the 18c.
Tombland 27 [7722] 2000-01-01
Tombland 27 [7723] 2000-01-01
Tombland 27 Georgian doorway [0427] 1935-03-28
On the south side of Tombland is a typical row of 18c three-storey red-brick buildings. Of these, the middle one, No 27, had its central doorway removed in the mid-1930s and replaced by a sash window.
The doorway here consisted of a pair of Ionic pillars supporting an open pediment. A pair of doors opened from the centre and folded back, and above was an elliptical fanlight with "rising sun" motif. A flight of four stone steps gave access, guarded by a light handrail on either side. The city's loss was Norfolk's gain, for the doorway was re-erected in a contemporary building, West Bradenham Hall, by Mr P.D.Penrose.
Tombland 27 Georgian style doorway [7721] 2000-01-01
Happily, in the late 1990s the sash-window in No 27 was removed, and replaced by a doorway similar to the original, my photograph here helping the architect. Its temporary absence emphasised how important such a feature is in the facades of houses of this period.
A number of important buildings have occupied this side of Tombland at different periods of its history. Here for instance, built some years before 1066, stood the Palace of the Saxon Earls. After the Conquest it was handed over as part of the endowment of the Priory, and some parts of it were still standing by about 1300. Later known as Rotten (or Ratten) Row, the houses here were destroyed in 1507 by a fire which started somewhere near the Popinjay inn on the western corner.
Tombland 29 site of Popinjay Inn [4659] 1962-03-28
Tombland obelisk drinking fountain [7392] 1996-09-10
Erected 1860 by John Henry Gurney to mark the site used by machinery to raise and store water for the higher parts of the city from c1700 to c1850.

Trinity St:
        From Unthank Rd to Union St
Holy Trinity South Heigham from Essex St [4686] 1962-06-30
Built 1861 in late 13c style, architect William Smith of London.
Holy Trinity South Heigham from Trinity St [7822] 2001-05-08

Trowse Bypass:
        From Martineau Lane towards Loddon
Yare Trowse bypass viaduct [6807] 1992-05-23
Over the railway and river Yare. Opened 20th May 1992.

Trowse Millgate:
        Near Bracondale, Whitlingham Lane and Trowse Newton
Trowse Millgate Mill House [6411] 1986-07-02

        Off Maid Marian Rd (Ipswich Rd)
St Paul's Lakenham Tuckswood [4705] 1962-08-18
Tuckswood, built 1951. Chapel of Ease to St John the Baptist and All Saints.

Turner Rd:
        From Dereham Rd to Waterworks Rd

      West side
Turner Rd Wensum School with bell turret [7795] 2001-01-28
Formerly Wensum View school.

Union St:
        From Vauxhall St to Trinity St
      (formerly passing
Chapel St, Suffolk St)

      West side
Union St Coach and Horses Row [4687] 1962-06-30
Erected 1961.
Union St Melbourne Cottages [7357] 1996-07-07
Built 1949-50 by Norwich City Council to house elderly people. Originally for those whose homes were destroyed during air raids of the Second World War.
Union St Jenny Lind playground gateway [7512] 1997-10-08
Transferred in 1972 from its original site in Pottergate which had been purchased and given to the City in January 1900 by James Jeremiah Colman in memory of his son Alan who had died the previous year. The ornate gateway was built ready for the official opening on 5th June 1902. By 1970 however the district had become depopulated and it was decided to give the Pottergate site over to new housing and form a new playground off Union St near the Maternity Block of the Norfolk and Norwich hospital.
        East side
Union St east side council flats [3010] 1939-05-25
Two-storied council flats, erected 1938.

Unthank Rd:
        From Earlham Rd / Grapes Hill / Chapel Field Rd to Newmarket Rd
Oxford St, Somerleyton St, Park Lane, Trinity St, Mile End Rd, Colman Rd

      West side
St John's RC from St Giles' Gates [B078] 1931-08-03
St John's RC from Unthank Rd [B197] 1931-00-00
St John's RC north side from Earlham Rd [B275] 1932-05-00
North transept, tower, nave, porch and baptistry.
St John's RC tower choir and north transept [4379] 1955-09-09
With Walsingham chapel.
St John's RC south side from Unthank Rd [4415] 1955-10-07
"The Roman Catholic Church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, was begun in 1882 at the expense of His Grace the 15th Duke of Norfolk E.M. K.G. and the completed portion, opened on the 29th August 1894. The building is of stone, from designs by George Gilbert Scott M.A. and continued by his brother J.Oldrid Scott F.S.A. The style adopted was that of the first half of the 13th century. The nave consists of ten bays, extending from the west front of the central tower. On the north side are the baptistery and porch which project from the aisle. On the south side is the Lady Chapel. The length of the nave is 160 feet, and the external height 81 feet; the total length of the church is 275 feet. The font is of Frosterly marble, surmounted by a lofty oak canopy. The stained glass windows are extremely beautiful and are of the 13th century type. The rectory adjoins the church, which occupies a commanding site immediately outside St Giles' Gate and is, except for Westminster Cathedral, the largest Roman Catholic church in England, and ranks amongst the finest modern and ecclesiastical buildings." (Kelly's Directory of Norfolk, 1925).
St John's RC floodlit from Convent Rd [5735] 1977-03-12
The building is on the site of the old City Gaol, and was completed in 1910. In 1976 the church was elevated to the status of a cathedral upon the formation of the Roman Catholic See of East Anglia.
Catholic procession cross bearer [2483] 1938-06-19
Roman Catholic Procession 19th June 1938:
Following Corpus Christi. It proceeded from St John's RC church along Earlham Rd to Heigham House, Heigham Rd.
Catholic procession boys [2484] 1938-06-19
Catholic procession girls with flowers [2485] 1938-06-19
Catholic procession veiled girls [2486] 1938-06-19
Catholic procession robed choir [2487] 1938-06-19
Catholic procession small girls [2488] 1938-06-19
Catholic procession priest carrying Host [2489] 1938-06-19
Catholic procession priest rear [2490] 1938-06-19
Priest and Acolytes.
St John's RC view east to City Hall [5971] 1978-08-19
St John's RC view east to St Giles' St [5973] 1978-08-19
St John's RC view NE St Giles' on right [5969] 1978-08-19
St John's RC view NE to St Benedict's [5975] 1978-08-19
St Benedict's church tower left. St Lawrence's church tower right.
St John's RC view north to Grapes Hill [5970] 1978-08-19
From Catholic Cathedral tower - 152 feet above ground.
St John's RC view SE to Chapel Field Rd [5972] 1978-08-19
Site of city wall marked on roundabout.
St John's RC view south to Winchester tower [5974] 1978-08-19
Unthank Rd Baptist church COLOUR [2968] 1939-04-16
Unthank Rd Baptist chapel demolition [4244] 1954-05-11
Built 1874-75. Demolished 1954.
Unthank Rd United Reformed church [6456] 1987-04-27
Formerly Presbyterian, opened 24th March 1956, architects Edward Boardman and son and Bernard M.Feilden.
Unthank Rd trenches for new sewer [2156] 1938-03-12
Unthank Rd heavy snow view south [2861] 1938-12-22
Unthank Rd 23 Heathcote Hotel facade [6599] 1990-04-11
Unthank Rd 23 Georgian doorway [2155] 1938-03-12
Unthank Rd 49 The Elms [6598] 1990-04-11
Rowntree Mackintosh alms houses.
Unthank Rd 405 former Eaton Hall lodge [6785] 1992-05-16
See Hurd Rd for Eaton Hall.
Unthank Rd Ryrie Court sheltered housing [6784] 1992-05-16
        East side
Unthank Rd 2 Tuns PH front [1837] 1937-08-06
Unthank Rd 2 Tuns PH yard [1328] 1936-08-26
Unthank Rd 2 Tuns PH yard [2877] 1939-02-23
Unthank Rd 2 Tuns PH from Chapel Field Rd [2878] 1939-02-23
Unthank Rd 2 Tuns PH W side from Unthank Rd [2883] 1939-02-26
Unthank Rd 2 Tuns PH from Chapel Field Rd [4803] 1964-08-05
Unthank Rd 4 to 14 Milk Marketing Board [3386] 1940-04-30
Erected 1939, architect Layton.
Unthank Rd 4 to 14 Milk Marketing Board [3387] 1940-04-30
Unthank Rd 4 to 8 [1838] 1937-08-06
Unthank Rd 10 to 14 [1824] 1937-07-28
Unthank Rd 12 Regency Georgian doorway [0486] 1935-04-21
Unthank Rd 82 Alpha Hotel former rectory [7466] 1997-07-16
Alpha Hotel. Formerly the rectory of St John Maddermarket.

Upper Goat Lane:
        From St Giles' St to Pottergate / St Gregory's Alley

      East side
Goat Lane Upper 1 [1341] 1936-08-29
Goat Lane Upper 3 to 7 [1383] 1936-09-08
        West side
Goat Lane Upper 10 to 14 [1062] 1936-06-28
Goat Lane Upper 14 [1061] 1936-06-28
Goat Lane Upper Friends' meeting house [4587] 1961-03-25
Built 1826, architect J.T.Patience.

Upper King St:
        From Tombland / Queen St to Prince of Wales Rd / King St / Agricultural Hall Plain
Bank St

      East side
King St Upper 9 to 11 [0992] 1936-06-09
King St Upper 15 King Street House [2708] 1938-08-13
King St Upper 17 The Norfolk Club facade [0993] 1936-06-09
For 19 Upper King St see 2 Prince of Wales Rd.
Coronation King St Upper 17 Norfolk Club [1620] 1937-05-13
The Norfolk Club, Upper King St, very highly commended business premises. 1937 coronation decorations.
King St Upper 17 Georgian doorway [0463] 1935-04-19
King St Upper 17 ornamental wall anchor [4376] 1955-09-02
King St Upper 19 Norwich Union branch [4279] 1954-08-25
        West side
King St Upper 2 [7706] 1999-10-31
King St Upper 2 Slug and Lettuce PH gate [7814] 2001-04-03

Valley Drive:
        From Heartsease Lane to Gurney Rd
Valley Drive view east Heartsease airfield [4229] 1953-10-25

Next street: Wall Rd

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List