Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: Synagogue St

Telegraph Lane:
        From Thorpe Rd to St Leonard's Rd / Gas Hill
Telegraph Lane East view of Water tower [7782] 2000-10-15
Montcalm Rd view of Water tower illuminated [0526] 1935-05-05
Lit for silver Jubilee celebrations.
Quebec Rd view of Water tower illuminated [0527] 1935-05-05
Lit for silver Jubilee celebrations.
St Matthew's Thorpe Hamlet Telegraph Lane W [6254] 1983-04-15

Ten Bell Lane:
        From Pottergate / Cow Hill to St Benedict's St / St Swithin's Alley

      East side
Ten Bell Lane 2 to 6 [2528] 1938-07-07
For 1 Ten Bell Lane see 97 Pottergate.
Ten Bell Lane 10 rear from Trowse Yard [2066] 1938-01-01
Ten Bell Lane 10 to 14 [0785] 1936-03-07
Note that whereas the public house on its corner is named the Ten Bells, the lane that leads up to Pottergate curiously adopts the singular, "Ten Bell", as does its neighbour Three King Lane. In the early 18c Ten Bell Lane was known as Holgate, as was Mariner's Lane in King St, and for the same reason - as being a hollow way, washed hollow by the rain flowing swiftly down from higher ground.
The 17c gabled houses, Nos 10-14, which stood half way up the lane on the east side, as well as Trowse Yard behind them, were demolished in 1938 in a slum clearance programme. The yard, by the way, was not named after the village of Trowse but from a member of the family of that name who owned property here many years ago.
Ten Bell Lane 10 to 14 Tudor house COLOUR [2958] 1939-04-12
Ten Bell Lane 14 rear from Trowse Yard [2065] 1938-01-01
Ten Bell Lane 16 to 20 [1116] 1936-07-13

Theatre St:
        From William Booth St / Rampant Horse St to Chapel Field East / Chapel Field North
      (formerly passing
Lady's Lane)

      North side
Theatre St 1 [2782] 1938-09-02
Theatre St 15 to 17 [1331] 1936-08-27
Theatre St 19 Shakespeare PH to 21 [2785] 1938-09-02
At 19 Theatre St, on the western corner of Lady Lane, stood for many years the Shakespeare public house. With the Theatre Royal almost opposite, it is not difficult to see how it obtained its name; the sign, in the centre of the facade, was a medallion portrait of the bard.
Theatre St 19 to 21 Presbyterian church [1332] 1936-08-27
A few doors further west was Trinity Presbyterian Church, whose 100-foot tower was a well-known landmark. Services were first held in the Victoria Hall, St Andrew's St, in 1866 on the initiative of four Scottish drapers, and in the following year St Peter's Hall in Theatre St was purchased, the Rev. W.A.McAllan being ordained as minister. An increase in the number of worshippers soon made this accommodation inadequate and on 17th September 1874, the foundation stone of a new church was laid on adjoining land by C.E.Lewis, MP. Built of white brick with Bath stone dressings at an estimated cost of £3,600 in what was described as the Lombardo-Gothic style, the new church had a large rose window above a triple doorway as its central feature. Designed by local architect Edward Boardman, it was opened for public worship on 23rd June of the following year.
The roof of the church sustained damage when the Theatre Royal burned down in 1934, but this was soon repaired. Just eight years later, however, the whole building except the tower was gutted when enemy raiders scattered incendiary bombs over the district.
With the help of war damage compensation a new church was built on the site of the old Baptist church on Unthank Road; it was opened in 1956. Demolition of the remains of the Theatre St building took place in the following year.
        South side
Theatre St 2 and right 3 to 5 [4734] 1963-07-14
Theatre St 4 to 8 [2783] 1938-09-02
Rampant Horse St leads directly into Theatre St, where Nos 4-8 on its south side formed an unassuming row of late Georgian houses. Three storeys high, they were of red brick with pantiled roofs and sash windows. Adjoining No 8 a covered way led to Chantry Court, which these houses enclosed. This was a somewhat narrow, stone paved yard made pleasant by a number of plants growing in tubs standing by doorways and other odd corners. However, the most remarkable feature was at the street entrance - a pair of wrought-iron gates with a semicircular grille above, fashioned in the most intricate design and exhibiting the outstanding craftsmanship of both designer and smith.
Theatre St Chantry Court [1029] 1936-06-16
Theatre St Chantry Court iron gates [2135] 1938-03-08
Theatre St Chantry Court Georgian doorway [4706] 1962-09-01
Theatre St 2 to 10 [4704] 1962-08-16
It was at the narrowest part of Theatre St, opposite No 4, that a 1,000lb delayed action bomb fell during the early hours of 19th September 1940, embedding itself deep into the subsoil. Fortunately it failed to explode and after much digging and delicate handling it was eventually defused and removed. The houses thus escaped damage at this time, but they were to remain only for another 24 years, for at the end of 1964 they were pulled down, No 4 being replaced by modern offices, the rest of the site being used as a "temporary" car park but earmarked for an extension of the civic centre, as yet unbuilt.
Chantry The east side doorway canopy [2136] 1938-03-08
Buildings on the east side of the lane known as the Chantry, were affected by the widening of Theatre St in 1964. One of these had a rather unusual feature above its front doorway, a large canopy of wood whose supporting brackets had been carved to resemble those at the Strangers' Hall in Charing Cross. While those at the Chantry appeared to be Victorian in origin, those at the Strangers' Hall had been erected over the street door by Francis Cock in 1621; they were moved some years ago to the inner passageway to avoid damage by passing traffic.
Theatre St Assembly House east wing [1015] 1936-06-11
From The Chantry.
Theatre St Assembly House from Chantry [2792] 1938-09-05
Theatre St Assembly House Georgian doorway [0398] 1935-03-19
Main entrance.
Theatre St Assembly House main facade [3993] 1951-05-31
Built 1754, architect Thomas Ivory. Built on the site of the College of St Mary in the Fields. The College was founded some time before 1250 and suppressed in 1545. The site, after passing through several hands, came in 1609 to the Hobart family. A mansion known as Chapel Field House had been built here, the east and west wings of which were retained when in the mid-18c the remainder was demolished and the present building erected. From 1877 until 1933 this was occupied by the Norwich High School for Girls. After the second World War it was restored as an Assembly House of Arts through the great generosity of Mr H.J.Sexton.
Theatre St Assembly House north front [0484] 1935-04-20
Theatre St Assembly House rear from SW [7725] 2000-01-07
From Chantry Rd.
Theatre St Theatre Royal after fire view W [0135] 1934-06-24
In the early part of the 18c Theatre St was known as Chapel Field Lane; it did not obtain its present name until after 1757 when Thomas Ivory "to oblige the general wish and request, and with the promise of all kinds of countenance and support from the principal inhabitants" undertook to build a theatre on a site in Chapel Field adjoining the then newly built Assembly House. It was completed and opened in January of the following year with a comedy called The Way of the World, the Norwich Company of Comedians being engaged to perform there. At first known as the "Concert Hall", it was licensed as a Theatre by His Majesty's Letters Patent in 1768, by which it was enabled to open from 1st January until 1st June each year and also in Assize Week.
In the early part of the 19c the building underwent various alterations and improvements, but it was eventually decided to pull it down and build a new one on the adjoining site. William Wilkins was the architect and proprietor and the new building, at a cost of £6,000, opened on Easter Monday, 1826, with The School for Scandal.
In 1883, as a result of a dispute between the Town Clerk and the proprietor, Mr William Sidney, concerning the provision of additional exits, the discovery was made that the licence granted in 1768 was personal to Thomas Ivory and had expired on his death in 1779. The theatre owned by Mr Sidney therefore was not a Patent Theatre but had been carried on for 104 years without patent, licence or permit of any kind.
After standing for more than a century, during which time it was enlarged and otherwise improved, the second Theatre Royal was ultimately destroyed by fire on 22nd June 1934. Commencing at about 2pm at the stage end of the building, the fire spread so that the whole theatre was very soon involved; within an hour nothing but the mere shell remained and Jack Gladwin, the proprietor, was faced with the choice of abandoning it altogether or completely rebuilding. Fortunately for Norwich he chose the latter course, and on 30th September 1935, the present Theatre Royal after designs by architect W.H.Barton L.R.I.B.A. (the third to stand on or adjacent to the site) opened with a production of The White Horse Inn.
Theatre St Theatre Royal view N after fire [0148] 1934-07-01
Theatre St Theatre Royal [2137] 1938-03-08
Theatre St Theatre Royal wall from garden [4298] 1955-04-09
Viewed from Assembly House garden.
Theatre St Theatre Royal wall from yard [4299] 1955-04-09
Believed to be a fragment of the first Theatre Royal, built by Thomas Ivory in 1758. Viewed from yard leading to current stage door.
Theatre St Theatre Royal view SE [7861] 2001-10-28
In 1970 the City Architect David Percival gave the white tiled frontage a new image to get rid of what the critics had called "the thirties' public convenience style". Brick panelling in a soft brown colour called "mocca" was inserted between the pilasters, and what tiling remained was painted to match. A new roof line was also introduced. The estimated cost was £7,500. At the same time much of the interior was refurbished and modernised.

Thorn Lane:
        From Ber St to Rouen Rd (formerly to King St)
      (formerly passing
Market Lane)

      South side
Thorn Lane 1 to 5 [2869] 1939-02-07
        North side
Thorn Lane 22 to 26 [2016] 1937-09-23
Thorn Lane Middle Square view NE [2018] 1937-09-23
Thorn Lane Lower Square view NE [2017] 1937-09-23

Thorpe Rd:
        From Riverside / Prince of Wales Rd / Riverside Rd to Harvey Lane and towards Thorpe St Andrew
Rosary Rd, Carrow Rd, Telegraph Lane

      South side
Thorpe Rd Norwich Thorpe railway station [4378] 1955-09-08
Rebuilt 1886, architect G.E.R.Co's Engineer R.Wilson.
Thorpe Station first electric train arrives [6443] 1987-04-09
The first passenger-carrying electric train to arrive at Norwich (Thorpe) Station - 9th April 1987. Drawn by the locomotive "Royal Anglian Regiment". It carried British Rail staff who had worked on the £90,000,000 electrification programme. Official opening of the full public service took place on 11th May.
Thorpe Station first electric train front [6444] 1987-04-09
Thorpe Station first electric train side [6445] 1987-04-09
Thorpe Station shrouded for refurbishment [7552] 1998-06-21
Thorpe Rd station Sir Morton Peto bust [7614] 1999-03-13
Morton Peto, 1808-1889, Baptist, contractor, politician and philanthropist.
Thorpe Rd railway station platform 2 [7699] 1999-10-17
Thorpe Station Flying Scotsman [7700] 1999-10-17
Platform 2.
Thorpe Station Flying Scotsman [7701] 1999-10-17
Platform 2.
Thorpe Station Flying Scotsman from afar [7702] 1999-10-17
Thorpe Rd 11 Ailwyn Hall Jubilee floodlit [0528] 1935-05-05
Thorpe Rd Methodist chapel [6321] 1985-05-13
Built c1901 to design by A.F.Scott in memory of his father.
Thorpe Rd at Carrow Rd [0042] 1934-02-22
Silver Jubilee Thorpe Rd Eastern Counties [0511] 1935-05-04
Eastern Counties Omnibus Company, Thorpe Rd, first prize for the Silver jubilee decorations.
        North side
Thorpe Rd 22 Kingswood House [6587] 1989-09-19
Built 1894 by architect A.F.Scott for Fred Dowson, a bookmaker. Nicknamed "Mugs' Hall".
Thorpe Rd 82 Coach and Horses PH [6596] 1990-03-14
Thorpe Rd 116 to 118 [6586] 1989-09-19
Thorpe Rd 148 Georgian mansion south side [7783] 2000-10-17

        From Orford Hill / Orford St to Golden Ball St / Ber St
Castle Mall

      West side
Timberhill 1 to 3 and right Orford Hill 7 [6277] 1983-07-27
Timberhill 1 to 3 and right Orford Hill 7 [6290] 1984-04-24
Timberhill Orford Hill Baptist chapel [6217] 1981-07-30
Built 1832. Converted to a warehouse.
Timberhill 17 to 25 [5216] 1968-06-19
Timberhill 23 to 25 [6538] 1989-03-25
Timberhill Lion and Castle Yard thatched ho [0587] 1935-05-19
Thatched cottage.
Timberhill Lion and Castle Yard thatch rear [1822] 1937-07-27
Timberhill Lion and Castle Yard thatch rear [4735] 1963-07-20
Timberhill Lion and Castle Yard north side [7421] 1997-01-14
After restoration.
Timberhill 31 [7632] 1999-05-18
Timberhill 33 [5214] 1968-06-19
Timberhill 33 to 35 [1167] 1936-07-27
Timberhill 35 to 37 [5215] 1968-06-19
Timberhill 39 to 43 [1165] 1936-07-27
Timberhill 45 [1166] 1936-07-27
        East side
Timberhill 4 to 8 Gardeners' Arms PH [6274] 1983-07-21
Gardeners' Arms Tavern, alias Murderers' Arms PH.
Timberhill 14 [1262] 1936-08-13
Timberhill 20 former Star and Crown PH [1260] 1936-08-13
Timberhill became so called because in the time of Edward III land hereabouts was used for a market for timber. In 1507 it was "Tymbermarket Hill", and "14 Henry VIII Robt. Spall paid 4d. for the Easement or convenience of laying his Timber upon the common ground at Tymber Hill...At that time Timber was very plentifull, now the carpenters are glad to go into the country to search it out & buy it there".
Certain gaps on the east side of the street remained unfilled after the war, when the air raid of 27th June 1942, caused widespread damage. No 20 Timberhill was one such casualty. Once the Star and Crown public house, it had ceased to be licensed by the 1930s and was then privately occupied, but the name was perpetuated in the yard at the side. Its front wall was constructed of split or "knapped" flints such as at the Green Man in King St and the Royal Oak in Oak St. Here the ground floor had been spoiled by the insertion of a shop front; when the shop front was later removed the ground floor had been unsympathetically repaired with brick. Gutted by fire in the raid, the building was demolished soon after.
Timberhill 26 to 28 [1261] 1936-08-13
Timberhill east side construction [6857] 1992-06-24
Timberhill St John's Plain entrance [7108] 1993-12-05
Timberhill St John's Plain entrance [7109] 1993-12-05
St John Timberhill south side from Ber St [2301] 1938-04-12
Roof with two modern dormers.
St John Timberhill south porch [2300] 1938-04-12
Vaulting and parvise over. The square western tower fell in 1784 and was not rebuilt.
St John Timberhill east end [2308] 1938-04-15
St John Timberhill interior view east [1863] 1937-08-09
Screen and rood beam are modern.

Tollgate Way:
        From Old Watton Rd (Earlham Rd) towards Bowthorpe
Yare Bowthorpe Tollgate Way Bridge [7774] 2000-10-07
Yare Bowthorpe Tollgate Way Bridge [7785] 2000-10-29
Opened by the Lord Mayor, Ron Borrett, 28th July 2000.

Next street: Tombland

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List