Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: Bull Lane

Calvert St:
        From Colegate to Botolph St
Cross Lane, Golden Dog Lane

      East side
Calvert St 1 north side [0830] 1936-03-24
The three-storey mansion at No 1 dates from the late 17c or early 18c. It is of brick and tile construction with rusticated quoins, and on the north side a hooded doorway. In June 1975 when its restoration was well advanced, a fire swept through the building severely damaging the interior and destroying the staircase, which was its main feature. Further restoration was successfully carried out and the building has now been converted into a number of flats.
Calvert St 1 west side [3264] 1939-09-17
Calvert St 1 east side Octagon Court [6611] 1990-06-16
Calvert St 3 south side [1441] 1936-09-22
Calvert St 3 to 5 west side [0821] 1936-03-19
Nos 3 and 5 together formed a large building of about the same age as its neighbour, from which a small courtyard separated it. It seems to have been one house originally, with a workroom in the northern half of the third storey lit by a large thoroughlight (weavers') window, but the window may have been put in at a later date. On the south side was a tall semi-circular headed archway, extending through two storeys, which before it was blocked probably gave access to a coach house or stable. Between the wars the building was a shoe factory, and like many others in the area was becoming very dilapidated. Its end came when it fell victim to a firebomb raid, on 2nd August 1942, in which all but the outer walls were destroyed. These too were levelled on 5th September that same year when one of a stick of high-explosive bombs fell in the centre of the site.
Calvert St Pope's Buildings [2126] 1938-03-06
The street has a number of restored buildings at its southern end, of the 18c. Among these, on the eastern side, may be mentioned Pope's Buildings, a pair of coach houses which in the early 1970s the City Council restored from an almost derelict condition, converting them into eight dwellings.
Calvert St 7 to 9 Pope's Buildings W side [2560] 1938-07-21
Calvert St 11 [2559] 1938-07-21
Calvert St 49 to 51 [2551] 1938-07-17
Calvert St 51 to 55 [2678] 1938-08-03
Calvert St 57 [4667] 1962-06-11
Calvert St Doughty's Hospital [4660] 1962-03-28
Founded by William Doughty under the terms of his Will dated 1687. The present buildings date from 1869.
Calvert St Doughty's Hospital matron lodge [4666] 1962-06-11
Calvert St Methodist chapel and manse [0825] 1936-03-24
A tragic loss from Calvert St was its Methodist Chapel, built in 1810, as boldly declared by an oval-shaped stone plaque above its main entrance. The chapel closed after the morning service on Sunday, 26th June 1966, and all traces had been swept away by mid-August. Closure came not because the church was redundant but because it had to make way for the Inner Link road.
In a booklet published in 1961 to commemorate the church's 150th anniversary, the late Mr W.W.Johnson gave an interesting account of its history. Designed by an unknown architect, the building, which was of red brick, was lit by a double row of round-headed windows having sashes fitted with interlacing glazing bars typical of the period. Its central doorway was recessed, with Tuscan pillars supporting an elliptical fanlight. Inside, a panelled gallery extended round all four walls, with an organ at the east end, below which was the pulpit and holy table. Mr A.F.Scott (architect of Chamberlin's clothing factory in Botolph St and Marks and Spencer's in Rampant Horse St) designed a new ceiling that was erected in 1895. At the same time a new wooden floor was laid, replacing the original brick paving, while new seating took the place of the old box pews.
It was doubly unfortunate that the building had to go, first, of course, from the point of view of the congregation, and secondly from the architectural aspect. A well-known local architect and antiquary, the late Stanley Wearing, said on several occasions that although the Calvert St Chapel was simple it was of fine design, and in his opinion should be grouped with the Old Meeting House in Colegate and the nearby Octagon Chapel as a “trio of distinctive historic churches of non-conformity in Norwich”.
Calvert St Methodist chapel [3249] 1939-08-13
Calvert St 69 [3250] 1939-08-13
        West side
Calvert St 2 to 10 view NW [0807] 1936-03-17
The street has suffered many losses. Near to Colegate were Nos 2-10, casualties of an air raid during the morning of 5th September 1942. These were Tudor houses built of flint rubble and brick, and although they were not well maintained their gabled roofline gave considerable character to this entrance to the street. The new flats that now occupy this site, extending behind Bacon House through to St George's St, are known as Lowe's Yard after the original yard here, which was demolished in 1937.
Calvert St 2 to 10 view SW [1692] 1937-06-06
Calvert St 2 to 6 rear from Lowes Yard [2125] 1938-03-06
Calvert St 16 Georgian doorway [3211] 1939-08-07
Calvert St 16 to 18 [2677] 1938-08-03
Calvert St 18 to 20 [0819] 1936-03-19
Calvert St 20 [6378] 1986-05-24
Calvert St 20 Georgian doorway [2128] 1938-03-06
Calvert St 20 to 22 [2676] 1938-08-03
According to Ralph Mottram, Calvert St, which now terminates at St Crispin's Rd, was named after the local proprietor "Count Calvert", whose mansion lay there. In the early part of the 18c however, the historian John Kirkpatrick wrote that it was Doughty's Hospital St and previously Snaylegate, then Snackegate, though he ventured no opinion as to the derivation of the latter names.
The district hereabout seems to have reached its zenith as a prosperous residential area when in the 18c many new mansions were built and others modernised. Many have now gone but Nos 20 and 22, until recently commercially occupied, still survive to give an idea how the place formerly looked.
Calvert St 22 [6379] 1986-05-24
Calvert St 22 Georgian doorway [0446] 1935-04-14
Calvert St 28 to 30 [0836] 1936-03-31
Calvert St 52 to 54 with weavers' window [2682] 1938-08-03
On west side between King's Head Lane and Green Lane was another building with a weavers' window. Its front had been faced with plaster, with raised lettering declaring it to be the factory of Middleton and Hovell, Brush Manufacturers. This it had long ceased to be when my photograph was taken in 1938. In 1883, however, Middleton and Hovell were listed at this address as horsehair cloth manufacturers.
Describing the trade of horsehair weaving in Norwich early in the 20c, C.B.Hawkins stated that it occupied perhaps 400 people, of whom only a few would be men. This presumably would have included outworkers, of whom there were 168 registered in 1909. The cloth was described as being made on a hand-loom with cotton warp and hair weft; horsehair weaving was largely a home industry, although one employer had then recently installed a few power looms. Hawkins added: "In the older quarters of the city an observer can still hear the peculiar click-clack of the hand-looms, and if he happens to be in Calvert St or Peacock St, where the houses date back to the 18c, he has a perfect example or what industrial Norwich was 150 years ago."
Calvert St 92 to 98 [2688] 1938-08-05
Calvert St 110 to 112 [2690] 1938-08-05

Canary Way:
        From Carrow Rd to Koblenz Avenue
Canary Way Holburn tyres Riverside site [7643] 1999-06-30
The first business to open on the Riverside redevelopment site.

Carrow Hill:
        From King St to Bracondale
Carrow Hill lower slope view north [0009] 1934-01-08
Wilderness Tower from King St [B095] 1931-00-00
Wilderness Tower and Black Tower [2190] 1938-03-21
Wilderness Tower and Black Tower [4361] 1955-08-20
Wilderness Tower from Carrow Hill [3621] 1946-04-19
Wilderness Tower north side from Alan Rd [2189] 1938-03-21
Wilderness Tower from Way under the Walls [4905] 1965-05-01
Black Tower view west from Carrow Hill [4779] 1964-06-27
Black Tower and wall view south [6207] 1981-07-07
Also known as the Snuff Tower or the Duke of Buckingham's Tower.
Black Tower and wall view south [0051] 1934-03-08
Black Tower doorway onto wall walk [0052] 1934-03-08
Black Tower doorway onto wall walk [6215] 1981-07-21
Black Tower view NE from Carrow Hill [B811] 1933-12-05
Carrow Hill 2 from outside city [0386] 1935-03-12
At crest of hill.
Carrow Hill 2 wall view NE [0017] 1934-01-21
At crest of hill.
Carrow Hill arched recesses in wall [0053] 1934-03-08
Carrow Hill wall from inside city [6206] 1981-07-07
At crest of hill.

Carrow Rd:
        From King St to Thorpe Rd
Riverside, Wherry Rd, Koblenz Avenue, Hardy Rd
Carrow Rd at King St [0050] 1934-03-04
Western boom tower from Carrow Bridge [B094] 1931-00-00
Western boom tower from Carrow Bridge [0094] 1934-05-17
A Windlass for winding the boom or chain was contained in the western tower. This prevented the unauthorised entry of rivercraft and assisted the collection of tolls.
Western boom tower and cinder oven view SE [3414] 1940-05-16
Colman's factory behind.
Western boom tower from Wensum east bank [0060] 1934-03-25
Wensum Carrow stone abutment of old bridge [4875] 1964-10-10
Wensum Carrow bascule bridge from Riverside [B602] 1933-06-28
Wensum Carrow bascule bridge south side [0061] 1934-03-25
The original bridge was erected in 1810 about 500 feet downstream from the present structure, and linked Carrow Hill directly with the north-eastern end of Carrow Rd. It had an iron elliptical arch of 50 foot span; designed by A.Brown; cast by J.G.Aggs; stonework by Athow and de Carle and brickwork and abutments by N.Wyeth. It was rebuilt largely of wood in 1833 as a drawbridge. The present bridge by the football ground and new swimming pool was built by J.Butler and Co of Leeds as a single-leaf roller bascule, and was opened by the Prince of Wales on 27th June 1923.
Wensum Carrow bascule bridge road barrier [4695] 1962-07-21
Wensum Carrow bascule bridge open for ship [4765] 1964-05-09
Wensum Carrow bascule bridge open to Canada [4874] 1964-10-10
Devil's Tower eastern boom Carrow view S [0031] 1934-02-11
Eastern boom tower from below Carrow Bridge [0095] 1934-05-17
The building of the City Walls was commenced in 1294 and finished during the first half of the 14c. In 1342 Richard Spynk contributed towards their completion. They proved ineffective in repelling the enemy at the time of Litester's Rising in 1381 and Kett's Rebellion in 1549, but were more useful in the collection of tolls due to the city, as well as in helping to prevent the spread of infection during the great plagues of the 17c.
City Walls Eastern boom tower COLOUR [0758] 1935-09-14
Eastern boom tower view SE [4359] 1955-08-20
Known as the Devil's Tower.
Carrow Rd football ground car park COLOUR [0759] 1935-09-14
Carrow Rd at Kerrison Rd [0040] 1934-02-22
Carrow Rd former maltings buildings S front [7843] 2001-09-01
The white square above and right of the east porch is a stone inscribed "C.B. 1824".
Carrow Rd former maltings buildings W end [7842] 2001-09-01
Carrow Rd 81 Clarence Harbour PH [7887] 2002-06-29
Carrow Rd view NW cleared Riverside site [7471] 1997-08-07
Football ground to left.
Carrow Rd rail bridge [4760] 1964-04-25
Built 1892 by Josiah Westwood and Co.
Carrow Rd temporary footbridge over railway [4876] 1964-11-28
Carrow Rd rail bridge SE side [6214] 1981-07-21
Carrow Rd view of railway junction COLOUR [0760] 1935-09-14
Carrow Rd at Clarence Rd bridge over rail [0041] 1934-02-22
Carrow Rd rail bridge reconstruction [4885] 1965-03-13
Carrow Rd Clarence Rd Thorpe Hamlet Stores [4805] 1964-08-08
In 1964-65 work went ahead in replacing the bridge spanning the railway at Carrow Rd (built 1892 by Josiah Westwood and Co). The need had long been felt for a wider structure, and one placed at as less acute angle to the traffic flow. At the same time its height was raised several feet to allow for future electrification of the railway. The "Thorpe Hamlet Stores", at the junction of Carrow and Clarence Rds, was demolished to make space for the improvement.

Next street: Castle Meadow

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List