Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: Eleanor Rd

Elm Hill:
        From Princes St / Redwell St to Wensum St

      South-east side
Elm Hill 9 Briton's Arms west side [0146] 1934-07-01
Elm Hill 9 restored timberwork [6322] 1985-05-13
Restored 1984.
Elm Hill 9 Briton's Arms PH from E [B071] 1931-08-03
Elm Hill 9 Briton's Arms PH COLOUR [0961] 1936-05-16
Elm Hill 9 Briton's Arms PH [1037] 1936-06-20
This 15c thatched building was at one time a nunnery then a home of the "Barbours" or surgeons as far back as 1498. It later was associated with weaving, cordwaining and saddlery. In 1760 it was known as the King's Arms.
Elm Hill 19 [1688] 1937-06-05
Elm Hill 21 to 27 [1075] 1936-07-05
Elm Hill elm tree prior to felling [5925] 1978-07-25
Traditionally regarded as marking the centre of the City. Pictured July 1978, six months before being felled due to Dutch Elm disease.
Elm Hill 29 [2716] 1938-08-15
In mid 18c, known as the Crown PH.
Elm Hill 41 to 43 Pettus House [0145] 1934-07-01
Part of the original house of the Pettus family who lived here 1550 to 1683 including Sir John Pettus, Mayor in 1608, knighted by Queen Elizabeth.
Elm Hill 41 to 43 Pettus House COLOUR [0962] 1936-05-16
Elm Hill 41 to 43 Pettus House restoration [3770] 1949-04-29
Elm Hill Wright's Court S side [1509] 1937-03-26
Elm Hill Wright's Court [6627] 1990-08-07
Probably the courtyard of the original Pettus House.
Elm Hill Wright's Court rear [5284] 1969-10-05
From Norris Court Gardens.
St Simon and St Jude view NW from Wensum St [2181] 1938-03-18
At the corner of Wensum St and Elm Hill stands the redundant church of Saints Simon and Jude, for some years the local headquarters of the Scouts' Association. The building consists of a chancel, a nave and the remains of a tower; although a number of books also mention a north porch there is no evidence this, nor is one shown in James Sillett's drawing made in 1828.
A church on this site is recorded in Domesday. The historian Francis Blomefield stated that it "was the Bishop's own Church before the See was settled here" - i.e. before its removal from Thetford in 1094. It was rebuilt in its present form during the 15th century, the tower being begun in 1446.
Regular services ceased to be held here in 1894, but for a short while after that it was used for a Sunday School, and the patronal festival was celebrated annually until 1920. By that time decay had already set in; although the churchyard on its south side was always well kept, the church had become smothered with ivy.
In November 1934, a commission appointed by the bishop condemned it to be demolished, but action was stayed; five years later an appeal for £1,000 to restore it was launched by the Norwich Amenities Preservation Society. Within a month or so work was commenced on the interior of the chancel and the ivy outside was taken down. Unfortunately the war intervened, the work came to a standstill, and within a very short space of time the great east window became half obscured again.
After the war the matter of its restoration was again taken up, this time by the Norwich Society, who in 1950 launched an appeal for £3,000 to finance the work. Two years later, with the work completed, the Norwich Scouts were able to move in; the official opening took place some months later in March 1953.
St Simon and St Jude view NW from Wensum St [B073] 1931-08-03
Some interesting discoveries were made while repairs were in progress, including the doorway and passage to the old rood loft, and a rectangular brass plate marking the burial site of Sir John Pettus, Kt, who died on 9th April 1613, aged 64.
One of those who made a handsome contribution towards the restoration was an American citizen, James T.Pettus, one of Sir John's descendants. In August 1960, when his son, also James, visited Norwich special arrangements were made for his children, Ruth Eve (a toddler) and William Watkins Pettus, aged six weeks to be christened there. Since the font had been removed some years previously, a large silver goblet was used for the baptismal water.
By 1973 the scouts were finding their accommodation cramped and difficult to heat. In that year permission was obtained from the Church Commissioners and the planning authority for an extra floor to be put in. This was done without interfering with the fabric in any way, by supporting it on a framework separate from the church itself.
Some 16c stained glass was taken out just before the war and fixed in a window of the ambulatory of Norwich cathedral. It consisted of two large coats-of-arms, one of Sir Nicholas Bacon, Lord Treasurer in Queen Elizabeth I's time, the other of William Cecil, Lord Burleigh. A sword-rest formerly here, bearing among others the name of Thomas Pettus, Mayor in 1590, was transferred to the St Peter Hungate church museum. The organ, which stood on the western gallery, was sold to another parish in 1920.
In 1874 when John L'Estrange published the results of his survey there were five bells here including one each by Richard Brasyer, William Brend and John Brend junior. Because the tower had become dangerous a faculty was obtained in 1880 to sell four cracked bells. The money thus raised was to go towards rebuilding the tower, but despite this it collapsed in 1913.
St Simon and St Jude north door [2182] 1938-03-18
Perpendicular tracery.
St Simon and St Jude interior view east [2171] 1938-03-16
St Simon and St Jude interior gallery view [2178] 1938-03-16
St Simon and St Jude interior view west [2177] 1938-03-16
St Simon and St Jude vestry door [2176] 1938-03-16
South side of chancel, having St Simon in one spandrel and three fishes in the other.
St Simon and St Jude 15c font [2172] 1938-03-16
Among the furnishings formerly here may be mentioned the font, which stood immediately below the gallery. This had an octagonal shaft and bowl and was carved with designs resembling foliage.
St Simon and St Jude John Pettus monument [2173] 1938-03-16
One cannot leave the church without referring to the most important relic of all, the monument to Sir John and Sir Augustine Pettus, now encased in a wooden cupboard-like structure to ensure its preservation. It is built on the east wall of the nave, extending in height to the springing of the chancel arch. Here in marble is the recumbent effigy of Sir John in complete armour, above which are Sir Augustine and his wife Abigail with their two sons and four daughters. Sir Augustine was buried here on 9th July 1613.
St Simon and St Jude Thomas Pettus monument [2175] 1938-03-16
There is a smaller monument to Thomas Pettus, son of John Pettus, a cloth merchant, south of the chancel arch. He died in 1597, aged 78; according to his epitaph his good name was known in all the towns of England. A picturesque fragment of the family house remains at 41-43 Elm Hill. Pettus House.
        North-west side
Elm Hill 2 to 4 [1103] 1936-07-12
See also 4 to 6 Princes St.
Elm Hill 2 to 4 [6381] 1986-05-24
Elm Hill 4 to 6 rear [6427] 1986-09-20
Elm Hill 4 to 6 rear [6660] 1991-04-17
From St Andrew's Hall Plain.
Elm Hill Monastery Yard Monastic chapel [4528] 1959-08-29
Erected 1866 by Father Ignatius for use as a Benedictine Chapel. Litigation forced its closure in 1876.
Elm Hill 12 to 16 [2710] 1938-08-15
Elm Hill view E [B070] 1931-08-03
Elm Hill 14 to 16 [0629] 1935-08-10
Elm Hill between 14 and 16 16c doorway [0437] 1935-04-11
Here in 1864 the Rev J.L.Lyne, Father Ignatius, tried to revive a form of monasticism. It closed after only two years.
Elm Hill 16 to 18 from Dutton's Court [1655] 1937-05-29
Elm Hill Crown Court Yard 16c lintel [2315] 1938-04-16
On the left, the Merchant's mark of Augustine Steward and on the right, Arms of the Mercer's Company.
Elm Hill 18 [1074] 1936-07-05
Home of the de Hague family. Father and son were Town Clerks in 1774 and 1826 respectively.
Elm Hill 20 [1073] 1936-07-05
Elm Hill 22 rear from Crown Court Yard [1656] 1937-05-29
Elm Hill 22 to 24 rear [6283] 1983-09-26
Elm Hill 22 to 26 Paston House [B072] 1931-08-03
Elm Hill 22 to 26 Paston House [0298] 1934-09-23
In the 15th century here was the home of the Pastons. After an extensive fire in 1507 a new house was erected on this site by Augustine Steward, who was deputy Mayor in 1549 at the time of Kett's Rebellion. Queen Elizabeth I is said to have watched a pageant from the existing rear first-floor window of the building. It is now the home of the Strangers Club.
Elm Hill 24 rear [1657] 1937-05-29
Elm Hill 28 [1676] 1937-06-05
A timbered house probably 16c. The upper frontage not brick but of mathematical tiles covering the timbers.
Elm Hill 28 to 30 rear [2370] 1938-05-05
Elm Hill 30 rear [6282] 1983-09-26
Elm Hill 32 [1076] 1936-07-05
Once the home of William Gostling, a 17c Mayor.
Elm Hill 34 to 36 [2715] 1938-08-15
Erected as one large house c1540.
Elm Hill 34 Flint House Georgian doorway [0436] 1935-04-11
Elm Hill Roaches Court [6284] 1983-09-26
Elm Hill 38 [1677] 1937-06-05
Elm Hill 40 former Turkey Cock PH [7496] 1997-09-22

Exchange St:
        From London St / Market Place to St Andrew's St
Lobster Lane, Bedford St

      East side
Exchange St Corn Exchange west side [2513] 1938-06-26
Opened 9th November 1861. Designed by Thomas Barry and H.Butcher. Building contractors Lings and Balls. Roofing contractors Barnard, Bishop and Barnard.
Exchange St 27 former museum [6318] 1984-08-16
Built 1833 to house the Norfolk and Norwich Museum.
Exchange St 29 to 31 Post Office Tavern [2514] 1938-06-26
St Crowche's stone corbel St Andrew St [5123] 1967-02-25
This church, dedicated in honour of the Invention of the Holy Cross, became redundant at the time of the Reformation. It stood across what is now the bottom of Exchange St, and pedestrians had to go round its churchyard to get into St Andrew's. A tavern with the sign of the "Hole in the Wall" was later built partly on the east end. Nothing now remains, but a mediaeval stone corbel set in a flint wall off the north side of St Andrew's St is believed to have come from this church.
        West side
Exchange St 2a and left Market Place 10 [6540] 1989-03-25
Exchange St 2 to 22 [4428] 1956-04-23
Rivett and Cozens 1827.
Exchange St 14 collapse [6673] 1991-05-12
Exchange St 14 collapse [6689] 1991-06-02
Collapsed 2nd April 1991, forcing closure of roadway.
Exchange St 24 built 1872 [6319] 1984-09-29
Foundation stone laid 23rd October 1872.
Exchange St Norfolk House east side [4246] 1954-05-12
Erected 1951, architect A.Wright. Modelled from Halmstad Town Hall, Sweden.
Exchange St 34 to 40 rear [6647] 1990-09-28
Flint lower parts of walls.

Farmers Avenue:
        From Red Lion St / Castle Meadow to Cattlemarket St / Rouen Rd (formerly Rising Sun Lane) / Golden Ball St
Orford St, Castle Mall, Castle Gardens, (formerly passing Bell Avenue)
Farmers Avenue 1 and Orford St east side [6269] 1983-07-12
Farmers Avenue 2 to 3 [6446] 1987-04-17
Farmers Avenue 4 Markets office [5151] 1967-08-17
Farmers Avenue bridge for realigned road [6636] 1990-09-03
Bridge over the walkway that will connect the main part of the mall to the St John's Plain section.
Farmers Avenue reopening ceremony [6644] 1990-09-26
Farmers Avenue bridge with decks below [6667] 1991-04-29
Farmers Avenue entrance to new Castle road [6817] 1992-06-07
Farmers Avenue opening of new Castle road [6828] 1992-06-12
Opened by Toni Dutton, chairwoman of Norfolk Museums Committee.
Farmers Avenue Panhard Levassor on new road [6829] 1992-06-12
1899 Panhard Levassor car on loan from Strangers Hall museum, the first car to use the new road.
Farmers Avenue NE side construction [6847] 1992-06-20
Farmers Avenue shops view SE [7036] 1993-07-25
Farmers Avenue shops view NW [7037] 1993-07-25

Farrow Rd:
        From Earlham Rd / Colman Rd to Bowthorpe Rd / Guardian Rd
Farrow Rd at Bowthorpe Rd [B651] 1933-07-30
Guardian Rd beyond.

Next street: Fishergate

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List