Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: Bethel St

Bishop Bridge Rd:
        From Gas Hill / Riverside Rd / Bishopgate to Barrack St / Gurney Rd / Kett's Hill

      East side
Bishop Bridge Rd 27 rear gas holder [7627] 1999-05-09
Bishop Bridge Rd east side view north [5134] 1967-04-01
Site of abandoned proposed Inner Link road extension.

        From St Martin's Palace Plain to Bishop Bridge Rd / Gas Hill / Riverside Rd

      North side
Bishopgate Crown Court House [6501] 1988-06-24
Erected 1987-88.
Bishopgate 3 to 7 [2541] 1938-07-13
Bishopgate 3 to 9 [0955] 1936-05-12
Bishopgate 9 to 15 [0954] 1936-05-12
In 1775 the nearby Tabernacle, furnished with handsome mahogany seating and a beautiful pulpit, was sold to the Countess of Huntingdon who set up a trust to appoint ministers "whose preaching and sentiments [were] according to the articles and homilies of the Church of England". Disused by the 1930s, it was acquired by the Eastern Gas Board, whose works adjoined to the north, and was pulled down early in 1953, the year of its bicentenary. In the photograph the minister's house may be seen on the extreme right, forming an end support to an interesting row of houses of varying dates. That to the left of the picture stood in the centre of this row, next Goodrum's Yard. Timber framed and faced with plaster, it had rather picturesque bay windows supported on wooden props and contrived below the first floor overhang.
At the western end of the row, opposite the church of St Martin-at-Palace, stood a rather plain little building, also cement rendered, known as the Cupid and Bow public house. Of its history little is known save that Edward VI granted six tenements here to the Great Hospital. Let on lease in 1827 to Youngs and Burt, brewers, predecessors of Youngs, Crawshay and Youngs, the inn remained in their occupation until the property was sold by the Great Hospital in 1917 to the British Gas Light Company.
It was near here that in 1549 Lord Sheffield was killed by Kett's rebels. For a long time a stone in the pavement, incised with the letter "S", marked the spot. This was moved to the street corner in the middle of the nineteenth century, but was later taken up when the present tablet (now transferred to the wall opposite) was built into the south wall of the inn in the 1860s. This tablet was made and installed at the expense of Dr Charles Williams, who also had a new "S" stone placed as near as possible to the original spot. Unfortunately when the civic authorities later made up the path the stone was covered with asphalt and thus lost sight of.
Bishopgate 11 to 15 [0953] 1936-05-12
Bishopgate 11 to 15 [2540] 1938-07-13
Bishopgate 15 Tabernacle minister's house [0606] 1935-08-05
Tabernacle House, architect Thomas Ivory. 1753.
Bishopgate The Tabernacle [0941] 1936-05-06
A section of Bishopgate, north of the entrance to Life's Green and The Close, was known during the 19c as Tabernacle St. Here in a secluded corner adjacent to the Adam and Eve public house stood the Meeting House or Tabernacle, a plain little red-brick building with pantiled roof and a double row of sash windows, opened by Mr Whitfield on 14th April 1753. Stanley Wearing in Georgian Norwich and its Builders considered this to have been the first building in Norwich with which the locally famous architect Thomas Ivory was known to be connected. Since arriving in Norwich in 1750, the Reverend James Wheatley, a Calvinistic Methodist, had been preaching in the city at various places including a Tabernacle set up in a house on Scoles Green. Unfortunately his ideas were not generally well received and frequent riotous scenes occurred, resulting in his molestation to such an extent that on more than one occasion "the poor creature was half dead, not able to walk alone, and in a most terrible condition", to quote one eye-witness. Nevertheless he was undeterred and was eventually able to purchase land for the building of the Meeting House shown in the photograph, together with an adjoining three-storeyed dwelling house.
Bishopgate The Tabernacle [3068] 1939-06-14
Built 1751-52 for James Wheatley a Calvinistic Methodist. Later acquired by the Countess of Huntingdon's Connection. Architect Thomas Ivory.
Bishopgate view of Gas Works [4887] 1965-04-03
Side view.
Bishopgate 17 Adam and Eve PH [3194] 1939-07-30
Bishopgate 17 Adam and Eve PH side [4886] 1965-04-03
Bishopgate 19 Georgian doorway portico [0479] 1935-04-20
Bishopgate 19 St Helen's House east side [0940] 1936-05-06
From St Helen's Square.
Bishopgate 19 St Helen's House east side [7535] 1998-03-10
Bishopgate 19 St Helen's House west front [1394] 1936-09-13
Bishopgate Great Hospital St Helen's tower [3894] 1950-06-29
"The Hospital of St Giles, commonly known as the Great Hospital, was founded by Walter de Suffield bishop of Norwich in 1249. He pulled down the parish church of St Helens on the south side of Holme Street (now Bishopgate) and provided accommodation for the parishioners in his new buildings on the north side of the street. The Hospital establishment consisted of a Master, four chaplains, a deacon, sub-deacon and four sisters (over 50 years old) to minister to the inmates, and four lay brothers. Its function was to maintain poor and decrepit chaplains of the diocese of Norwich, and also to provide 13 poor people and seven poor scholars with a meal a day. In 1310 the chaplains were increased to eight and were to wear the habit of secular canons. The Hospital was dissolved by Henry VIII, but at the petition of Norwich citizens it was restored to the city by Edward VI. It is now administered by Trustees, and with its additional buildings it houses nearly 200 old people of both sexes.
The buildings are of great interest and represent in the main a rebuilding of the Hospital in the 14c and 15c. It is probable that Suffield's parish church was south of and parallel to the Hospital chapel, both being east of the infirmary hall. The present arrangement (somewhat obscured by 16th century alterations) shows an aisled church of three bays, intervening between the infirmary hall and the large chancel, the latter being of unusual size to accommodate the chaplains who were functioning as chantry priests. The aisle arcades bear the arms of Prior Nolet (1453-71) Bishop Goldwell (1472-99) and Sir James Hobart, one of Bishop Goldwell's executors (d. 1507), and also the sun in splendour, the badge of Edward IV. The chancel had been built previously by Bishop Spencer (1370-1406) and was completed in 1385, the year that Richard II and his queen, Anne of Bohemia, visited Norwich. Its richly panelled roof, with 253 painted eagles, is supposed to commemorate the queen. The long vaulted porch is probably part of an earlier structure and the elaborately vaulted Lady Chapel appears always to have contained the parochial altar. The infirmary hall is an extension of four bays west of the church, built in plainer style, and at its south-west corner is a large tower, adjoining the destroyed south aisle. The cost of the tower was defrayed by a bequest of John de Derlington, Chancellor, who was Master of the Hospital, 1372-5. To the north is a cloister, with a dining hall on the west, where the daily meals provided by the founder were no doubt served, and lodgings for the master and the chaplains on the north. The apartments to the east, one of which is said to have been the Chapter House, have disappeared, but the doorways remain. When the hospital was reconstituted under Edward VI, both the infirmary and the Chancel were separated by walls from the Church, and floors were inserted to provide two storeys in each. These are fitted with cubicles the one for men and the other for women. The architectural detail is of considerable interest and the church has good fittings." (Walter H.Godfrey in The Archaeological Journal Vol.CVI, 1949)
Bishopgate Great Hospital St Helen's S side [7107] 1993-12-05
St Helen's tower from SW [2287] 1938-04-10
This church is now part of the Great Hospital of St Giles, and only the centre part is used for Divine Worship. The greater part of the nave and quire having been adapted for inmates. The whole is 15c.
St Helen's tower S transept from Bishopgate [2288] 1938-04-10
Bishopgate Great Hospital and St Helen's [B112] 1931-00-00
Bishopgate Great Hospital S porch entrance [4065] 1952-03-20
Bishopgate Great Hospital S porch tablet [6600] 1990-04-11
Bishopgate Great Hospital cloister entrance [3895] 1950-06-29
And former refectory.
St Helen's cloisters NW corner [2296] 1938-04-12
Bishopgate Great Hospital cloister view NW [2295] 1938-04-12
St Helen's cloisters SE corner [1898] 1937-08-18
St Helen's interior view SE [1891] 1937-08-18
St Helen's northern arcade of nave [1895] 1937-08-18
St Helen's south transept [1892] 1937-08-18
Where the present altar stands.
St Helen's south transept vaulted roof [1894] 1937-08-18
Groined roof of south transept with stone bosses.
St Helen's T and E Ivory pew [1893] 1937-08-18
Erected by T.William and Elizabeth Mary Ivory 1780.
Bishopgate Great Hospital Birkbeck Hall [3891] 1950-06-29
East side of hall. Erected on site of old brew house 1901.
Bishopgate Great Hospital Chaplain's house [0939] 1936-05-06
Bishopgate Great Hospital Chaplain's house [2543] 1938-07-13
St Helen's Square, north side.
Bishopgate Great Hospital Chaplain's house [6751] 1991-11-09
Reconstructed dormers.
Bishopgate Great Hospital offices [2542] 1938-07-13
St Helen's Square, north side.
Bishopgate Great Hospital Master's house [2544] 1938-07-13
St Helen's Square, east side.
Bishopgate Great Hospital Eagle ward E end [3988] 1951-04-23
Bishopgate Great Hospital kitchens [3888] 1950-06-29
North of cloisters.
Bishopgate Great Hospital new alms houses [3890] 1950-06-29
Built 1937, architect S.J.Wearing A.R.I.B.A.
Bishopgate Great Hospital right Prior Court [6752] 1991-11-09
Left 19c alms houses. Right Prior Court opened 1980.
Bishopgate Great Hospital swan pit [3889] 1950-06-29
        South side
Bishopgate 4 [7542] 1998-04-22
("BA 1778")
Bishopgate 54 Hermitage half timbered [5124] 1967-03-04
Half timbered first floor.
Bishopgate 54 Hermitage restoration [7521] 1997-12-15
Garden front.
Bishopgate 54 Hermitage thatched house [0584] 1935-05-17
Bishopgate 64 Meadow House [7529] 1998-03-01
Built 1855.
Bishopgate 70 north front [7537] 1998-03-13
The fine Georgian front was added to the original timber framed building in 1786.
Bishopgate 70 south garden front [7538] 1998-03-13
Wensum Bishop Bridge carriageway view east [0010] 1934-01-09
Wensum Bishop Bridge S side view upstream [4589] 1961-04-16
Constructed 14c. The only mediaeval bridge remaining in Norwich. Of previous structures on the site little is known. In 1249 it belonged to the Bishop's See. The present structure probably dates from after 1275 when a patent was granted to the Prior to erect a gate "with a bridge 20 feet broad thereto adjoining". This gate was built over the westernmost arch at the expense of Richard Spynk according to his charter of 1343. Handed over to the city in 1393 it saw military action during Kett's rebellion (1549) but was demolished in 1791. Only the bays above the western cut-waters remain to mark the site of the two angle turrets.
Wensum Bishop Bridge south side illuminated [6745] 1991-11-08
Wensum Bishop Bridge N side view downstream [0938] 1936-05-06
Wensum Bishop Bridge N side from E towpath [B619] 1933-07-11
Wensum Bishop Bridge S side view upstream [4588] 1961-04-16
Bishop Bridge gatehouse SE turret base [7707] 1999-10-31
A gatehouse stood over the western arch of the bridge until 1791. Excavations revealed the foundations of the gatehouse's south-west corner turret in 1998.
Bishop Bridge gatehouse turret excavations [7540] 1998-03-24
Bishop Bridge gatehouse turret wall base [7551] 1998-06-21
Bishop Bridge gatehouse turret base angle [7572] 1998-09-06
Cow Tower view north from E bank of Wensum [0011] 1934-01-09
Originally used by the Cathedral Priory as a prison and for the collection of river tolls, it was conveyed to the City in 1378 and rebuilt in 1399 as part of the defences. Long believed to have been constructed entirely of brick except for the stone foundations, however a survey in 1985-6 showed it to be of flint with brick facing.
Cow Tower Hospital Meadow General's Buildgs [B596] 1933-06-24
Cow Tower NE side [B092] 1931-00-00
Cow Tower south side [B093] 1931-00-00
Cow Tower south side [3769] 1949-04-29
Cow Tower from east illuminated [6747] 1991-11-08
Cow Tower flint and stone foundation [4918] 1965-08-07
Cow Tower interior east side [4917] 1965-08-07
Wherry Albion rounding bend at Cow Tower [3828] 1949-10-14
Refitted in 1949 by the Norfolk Wherry Trust in order that at least one of these typically Norfolk trading vessels should continue to be seen plying its course along the County's rivers and broads. The Wherry Albion is seen here proceeding along the Wensum at Norwich on 14th October 1949 - the day following its maiden voyage from Yarmouth to Norwich after having been refitted.
Wherry Albion going downstream at Cow Tower [3829] 1949-10-14
Wherry Albion toward Bishop Bridge [3830] 1949-10-14

Next street: Botolph St

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List