Norwich Parks and Gardens

Heigham Park first bed view to tennis cts [B187] 1931-00-00
Laid out as formal gardens with tennis courts, bowling green and children's playground in 1921, including a rock garden and herbaceous borders.
Heigham Park view south to Glebe Rd [B188] 1931-00-00
Heigham Park third circular bed [B189] 1931-00-00
Heigham Park rock garden [B190] 1931-00-00
Heigham Park rock garden [B191] 1931-00-00
Heigham Park pergola by bowling green [B192] 1931-00-00
Heigham Park rock garden [B198] 1931-00-00
Heigham Park wrought iron gates from pagoda [4438] 1956-05-21
Heigham Park wrought iron gates from pagoda [B242] 1932-04-00
Gates to tennis courts. Formerly a portion of the railing surrounding the Pagoda (made 1876) which stood in Chapel Field Gardens.
Castle Gardens from west side of bridge [B310] 1932-06-00
Castle Gardens west side of bridge [B311] 1932-06-00
Castle Gardens view west from site of moat [B312] 1932-06-00
Situated around the Castle mound and within part of the surrounding ditch. First opened 1889.
Castle Gardens view NE from bridge parapet [B494] 1933-03-11
Castle Gardens Whiffler open air theatre [7952] 2004-07-29
Opened 1982.
Castle Gardens mound and bridge from SE [6630] 1990-08-13
Castle Green mall rooftop park [6991] 1993-05-24
Constructed 1992-93.
Castle Green lower eastern terrace [7062] 1993-09-09
Castle Green view north [7063] 1993-09-09
Castle Green children's play area [7064] 1993-09-09
Castle Green cascade at west end of mall [7120] 1994-04-05
Castle Gardens lift installation [7738] 2000-03-19
Castle Gardens Seaform sculpture [7739] 2000-03-19
Sculpted by Barbara Hepworth, 1964.
Castle Gardens lift installation [7781] 2000-10-15
Castle Gardens lift installation [7803] 2001-02-13
Castle Gardens lift installation [7848] 2001-09-05
Chapel Field Gardens thatched tea house [B204] 1931-00-00
A noteworthy structure in the gardens was the thatched tea pavilion. Dating from about the time of the Ashanti campaign it became known as King Prempeh's Bungalow. How it slipped through the regulations that forbade the erection of thatched buildings within the city walls is rather a mystery. It was taken down in 1938 and superseded by the present teahouse.
Chapel Field Gardens pagoda west side [0143] 1934-07-01
Shown as an archery ground on Braun and Hogenberg's prospect of Norwich dated l581, the area now occupied by Chapel Field Gardens was in 1746 being held on a lease by Thomas Churchman, who in that year planted its three main walks with avenues of elms. A century later the waterworks company, who had a reservoir here, offered to give up their interest in the field to the Corporation on condition that it was "Laid out in the style of the London parks, the reservoir to be retained but altered in shape . . . it was also proposed to place the Nelson statue on an elegant fountain pedestal in the centre of the reservoir".
Things proceeded slowly, however, and in the meantime Nelson's statue found its way from the Market, where it was originally placed, to its present site in The Close near the west end of the Cathedral. Not until 1867 was the ground enclosed by iron railings, and it was 1880 before the present gardens were completed and opened to the public.
Perhaps the garden's most conspicuous feature at this time was the ornamental pagoda or pavilion near the centre of the grounds. Originally costing £2,000, it had been constructed by Barnard, Bishop and Barnard, the Norwich iron founders, from designs by Thomas Jeckyll as a showpiece for various exhibitions, being first erected at the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition in 1876. In 1880 it was purchased by the city for £500, which was raised by public subscription. It was of two floors and for a while was used as a bandstand until the present purpose-built structure was erected.
The pagoda was highly ornamented - the brackets supporting both upper floor and roof were enriched with designs in bas-relief depicting flowers and birds; a geometrically patterned railing surrounded the balcony floor, which was reached by a spiral staircase; and an outer wrought-iron railing fashioned to resemble rows of sunflowers enclosed the small mound on which the pagoda stood. (The photographer's great uncle, Aquilla Eke, is said to have executed much of the bas-relief work, which was hand-forged.) Because of damage this railing was later removed, but several of the better-preserved sections were later re-erected as entrance gates to the tennis courts at Heigham Park. After many decades service there, they were refurbished and erected in 2004 at the park entrance.
The pagoda itself unfortunately sustained some damage during the Second World War and was demolished in November 1949, because it was unsafe. A brick and tile shelter now stands on the site.
Chapel Field Gardens pagoda Jubilee lit [0535] 1935-05-06
Chapel Field Gardens COLOUR [0737] 1935-08-21
Chapel Field bandstand and pagoda COLOUR [0738] 1935-08-21
Chapel Field Gardens thatched tea house [2085] 1938-02-24
Chapel Field Gardens tea pavilion [3011] 1939-05-25
Replaced the thatched structure in 1938.
Chapel Field Gardens Gurney clock [6479] 1987-07-14
Presented to the City by Barclay's Bank. Formerly Gurney's Bank, to mark 200 years of trading in Norwich. Commissioned 1975, unveiled 1987, later moved to Castle Mall.
Chapel Field Gardens bandstand [6605] 1990-04-30
Chapel Field, an archery ground in mediaeval times, was laid out as a formal garden in 1879.
Chapel Field Gardens wooden crucifix [7752] 2000-05-06
Chapel Field Gardens William Kemp carving [7800] 2001-01-30
William Kemp's Morris dance ("Nine Daies Wonder") from London to Norwich in 1600. Carved by Mark Goldsworthy of Bungay, 2000.
Earlham Rd Cemetery Garden of Remembrance [7715] 1999-11-27
Earlham Rd 4 Plantation Garden house front [6888] 1992-07-26
Henry Trevor, Victorian Baptist and Cabinet maker, took over the lease of 4 Earlham Rd and built the house in 1856, and between that date and 1891-92 created the Plantation Garden round it. The site was originally a chalk quarry.
Earlham Rd 4 Plantation Garden general view [6887] 1992-07-26
From the west terrace, showing the fountain and the two ornate piers which flanked the now vanished propagating house.
Earlham Rd 4 Plantation Garden from bridge [7956] 2005-06-12
Earlham Rd 4 Plantation Garden fountain [6884] 1992-07-26
Earlham Rd 4 Plantation Garden view north [6885] 1992-07-26
Earlham Rd 4 Plantation Garden view north [6886] 1992-07-26
Earlham Rd 4 Plantation Garden view N [7958] 2005-06-12
Earlham Rd 170 Earlham House grounds [4586] 1960-10-02
Pictured 1960 after the house had been demolished and before the erection of a shopping complex.
Earlham Park border view west to hall [B168] 1931-00-00
Earlham Park herbaceous border [B167] 1931-00-00
Earlham Park kitchen gardens [B165] 1931-00-00
Purchased by Norwich Corporation for civic purposes in 1925, these were the old-world gardens of the Country House estate long associated with the Gurneys.
Earlham Park rose garden [B166] 1931-00-00
Earlham Rd Earlham Park dovecote [0633] 1935-08-10
Elm Hill elm tree prior to felling [5925] 1978-07-25
Traditionally regarded as marking the centre of the City. Pictured July 1978, six months before being felled due to Dutch Elm disease.
Mousehold general view [B180] 1931-00-00
The wild atmosphere of this most valuable open space, full of historic memories, has been carefully preserved. Conveyed by the Dean and Chapter of Norwich to Norwich Corporation in 1880 it was dedicated to the free use of the people by the Mayor John Gurney in 1886.
Mousehold sand hills [B176] 1931-00-00
Mousehold trees near Gilman Rd [B177] 1931-00-00
Mousehold view north from Gilman Rd [B178] 1931-00-00
Mousehold football pitch Gilman Rd [B179] 1931-00-00
Mousehold tea pavilion Gurney Rd [B181] 1931-00-00
Mousehold view SW near Gurney Rd [B576] 1933-06-07
Mousehold gravel path parallel to Gurney Rd [B577] 1933-06-07
Mousehold bandstand before demolition [4642] 1961-09-02
Erected in Victorian times, it was decided in 1961 that the band stand would have to be demolished as Chapel Field Gardens was then said to be the only place in the city where people would attend to listen to a band. Rebuilt in 1992 from subscriptions raised by the Mousehold Heath Defenders.
Mousehold tea pavilion Gurney Rd [6478] 1987-07-01
Mousehold bandstand construction [6903] 1992-08-10
Woodrow Pilling Park Harvey Lane entrance [B313] 1932-06-11
Presented by Mrs Pilling in memory of her father, Jeremiah Woodrow, a freeman of the City. Opened by H.R.H.Princess Mary 29th June 1929.
Market Place Garden of Remembrance [2849] 1938-11-05
Opened 1938.
Market Place War Memorial gardens COLOUR [2962] 1939-04-13
St Faith's Lane James Stuart Garden [7511] 1997-10-08
St Faith's Lane James Stuart Garden gateway [7510] 1997-10-08
Opened July 1922, architects Boardman and son. The gateway to the garden bears an inscription that it was provided through a legacy from Laura Elizabeth Stuart (nee Colman) the city's first woman J.P. It also records that its construction had been delayed "due to the War".
St Faith's Lane Horse Fair Green [7533] 1998-03-01
Site of mediaeval fair where horses were sold.
Wensum Park fountain and shelter [B155] 1931-00-00
Originally a refuse tip, then laid out with formal gardens and opened 9th September 1925.
Wensum Park pathway and roses [B156] 1931-00-00
Wensum Park lily pond with rustic bridge [B163] 1931-00-00
Wensum Park fountain view towards N Heigham [B164] 1931-00-00
Wensum Park frozen lily pond [B471] 1933-01-29
Wensum frozen over at Wensum Park [B472] 1933-01-29
Eaton Park fountains near entrance [B058] 1931-00-00
Eaton Park lakes lavender and colonnade [B059] 1931-00-00
Eaton Park yacht pond towards water gate [B086] 1931-00-00
Eaton Park band playing in bandstand [B290] 1932-05-16
Whitsun. Military band concert.
Eaton Park rose gardens [B414] 1932-08-03
Eaton Park main entrance South Park Avenue [B562] 1933-05-14
Formally opened by H.R.H.Edward Prince of Wales 30th May 1928.
Eaton Park rose gardens near main entrance [B563] 1933-05-14
Surrounding the fountain.
Eaton Park rose gardens [B564] 1933-05-14
Surrounding the fountain.
Eaton Park yacht pond from water gate [B567] 1933-05-18
Eaton Park lily pond and pavilion [0179] 1934-08-07
Eaton Park lily pond and pavilion [0180] 1934-08-07
Suffolk St 78 Alberic Barbiera rambler rose [1043] 1936-06-21
Just over 20 years old, the rose extended 15 yards in length.
Union St Jenny Lind playground gateway [7512] 1997-10-08
Transferred in 1972 from its original site in Pottergate which had been purchased and given to the City in January 1900 by James Jeremiah Colman in memory of his son Alan who had died the previous year. The ornate gateway was built ready for the official opening on 5th June 1902. By 1970 however the district had become depopulated and it was decided to give the Pottergate site over to new housing and form a new playground off Union St near the Maternity Block of the Norfolk and Norwich hospital.
Waterloo Park avenue approach Angel Rd [B552] 1933-04-30
Formally opened 29th April 1933. Photographed the next day.
Waterloo Park bandstand and pavilion [B553] 1933-04-30
Waterloo Park pavilion and colonnade [B554] 1933-04-30
Waterloo Park bandstand from pavilion roof [B555] 1933-04-30
Waterloo Park paddling pool and sandpit [B556] 1933-04-30

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Home