Norwich Extramural Mediaeval Churches

St Andrew's Eaton from Eaton St [B201] 1931-00-00
St Andrew's Eaton nave and chancel S side [2457] 1938-06-14
Early English nave and chancel covered with a thatched roof.
St Andrew's Eaton tower from SE [1665] 1937-05-31
St Andrew's Eaton north porch [2458] 1938-06-14
St Andrew's Eaton interior view east [2451] 1938-06-14
The roofs and fittings are modern.
St Andrew's Eaton interior view SE [2456] 1938-06-14
Screen 1861.
St Andrew's Eaton interior view west [2452] 1938-06-14
St Andrew's Eaton altar and east window [2455] 1938-06-14
Stained galss commemorates the Bensley family.
St Andrew's Eaton piscina and sedilia [2453] 1938-06-14
Trefoil headed pillar piscina with carved cap, late 13c.
St Andrew's Eaton Tudor chair [2454] 1938-06-14
Presented 1926. In the chancel.
St Bartholomew's Heigham from SE [2423] 1938-05-23
Mainly Perpendicular. The district of Heigham, flanked by the city on the east and by Earlham on the west, grew during the 19c from a small village clustered around the church of St Bartholomew to a large residential suburb. This growth led to its division into several parishes of a more manageable size, served by the new churches of St Barnabas, St Philip, St Thomas and Holy Trinity.
It was unfortunate that the "mother" church of St Bartholomew, with its continuous history going back over centuries, should have been the victim of an incendiary attack during the raid of 29th April 1942. As it stood at the time of its destruction it consisted of a square embattled western tower some 44 feet high, in which were two bells; a nave, without clerestory; north and south aisles; and a chancel.
St Bartholomew's Heigham interior view east [2435] 1938-06-10
The nave and chancel were under one continuous roof, of a simple archbraced type dating from the Victorian restoration.
St Bartholomew's Heigham interior view west [2436] 1938-06-10
St Bartholomew's Heigham north aisle [2440] 1938-06-10
Of the aisles, the north one was built in 1878 as a memorial to Bishop Hall, who died in 1656 while residing in the nearby house now known as the Dolphin inn. A north porch and vestry were removed when this work was carried out.
St Bartholomew's Heigham south aisle [2439] 1938-06-10
The main entrance to the church was by a doorway in the south aisle, near its western end.
St Bartholomew's Heigham piscina sedilia [2441] 1938-06-10
The sill of the easternmost window in the south wall of the chancel formed the sedilia, with an angle piscina to the left.
St Bartholomew's Heigham 15c font [2437] 1938-06-10
Most of the furnishings were modern, but the font, split to pieces in the raid, was of the old East Anglian type with four lions sejant around the stem. The eight panels bore the Emblem of the Trinity, Instruments of the Passion, St George's Cross, and a Cross of Moline, alternating with Tudor roses.
St Bartholomew's Heigham tower conservation [4205] 1953-08-15
The church, including the tower, was completely burnt out in the raid; only the walls were left standing. The two bells that had hung in the tower crashed to the ground and were rendered quite useless; the treble lost its upper part, and the tenor, falling upside down, had its canons forced into the top of the bell itself.
Among the monuments existing in 1942 was a tablet on the south wall of the chancel to the memory of Bishop Hall. It showed the figure of a skeleton on a black ground holding in one hand a paper on which was written "Debemus Morti, Nos Nostraque" and in its other hand a paper inscribed "Persolvit et Quietus est". At the foot was the inscription "Josephvs Hallvs olim humilis Ecclesiae Servus". Other tablets were to the memory of the Hangar, Haylett, Parr, Robins, Seaman, Smith and Unthank families.
In 1949 the future of the churchyard and its ruins was under consideration by the Diocesan Advisory Committee; services were held in the meantime in the disused Nelson St Methodist Chapel. Four years later the magistrates made an order requiring all necessary action to be taken to make the ruins safe. This meant the demolition of all but the tower. Within six months the work had been done. The 44 foot tall tower, which had sustained only slight exterior damage, was unusual and worthy of preservation, if only because it had no freestone quoins - a rare occurrence in East Anglia in a square flint tower. The tower of Beeston Regis church is another example, but there the corners are not so carefully constructed as at Heigham, though larger flints were used.
Repairs to the tower were authorised in January 1976, and six months later the City Council prepared plans to make the churchyard into a public open space. No doubt this had already been foreseen, as on 21st May of the previous year the remains of Bishop Hall had been exhumed from the site of the chancel, and taken to be re-interred in the cloister garth of Norwich Cathedral.
St John and All Saints Lakenham from NE [1696] 1937-06-07
St John the Baptist and All Saints. Mainly Perpendicular.
St John and All Saints Lakenham south aisle [2459] 1938-06-15
The arcade comprises iron pillars cased with wood.
St John and All Saints Lakenham interior E [2468] 1938-06-18
The roofs are modern.
St John and All Saints Lakenham interior NE [2475] 1938-06-18
St John and All Saints Lakenham interior W [2469] 1938-06-18
St John and All Saints Lakenham 16c font E [2473] 1938-06-18
Carved with Emblems of the Passion, the Evangelists etc.
St John and All Saints Lakenham 16c font SW [2474] 1938-06-18
St John and All Saints Lakenham James Crowe [2470] 1938-06-18
James Crowe of Tuckswood House Old Lakenham, Mayor of Norwich 1774 and 1797, died 1807, aged 56.
St John and All Saints Lakenham piscina [2472] 1938-06-18
Trefoil headed piscina, south-east corner of chancel.
St Mary's Earlham tower from SW [B587] 1933-06-11
From Earlham Rd.
St Mary's Earlham tower south side [2450] 1938-06-11
St Mary's Earlham south porch [2449] 1938-06-11
St Mary's Earlham interior view east [2443] 1938-06-11
The walls are mainly Early English with Decorated and Perpendicular windows inserted. Modern roofs and benches.
St Mary's Earlham interior view west [2444] 1938-06-11
St Mary's Earlham interior north transept [2446] 1938-06-11
St Mary's Earlham altar [2448] 1938-06-11
Presented by John and Laura Gurney 1843.
St Mary's Earlham 15c screen [2447] 1938-06-11
Square-headed screen with cusped and crocketted ogee arches having painted and varnished tracery.
St Mary's Earlham Bacon family monument [2445] 1938-06-11
Formerly in the church of St Giles' in the Fields Middlesex but transferred to Earlham by Mr Waller Bacon on the former church being demolished in 1731.
St Michael's Bowthorpe ruin from SE [6693] 1991-06-05
The church was unroofed in 1792. For photos taken before the boundary revision, see Norfolk, Bowthorpe.
St Michael's Bowthorpe ruin south side [6692] 1991-06-05

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett